What's new

Component move?

sz0k30

Hey guys,

I have had this issue come up occasionally & I don't have clue why. When I have an assembly made up of maybe several parts & sub-assemblies and I try to move a component, it doesn't move how or how much I want it to? In this case, I want to move #00530, let's say 1" in the X direction with "Direct Component Placement". I know I have to select all the 6 parts under it. It appears to move it maybe 5 or 6 inches. Attached is the PKG file.

P.S. Please disregard the things you may night like the way I do them ;)

Attachments

• 00511.AD_PKG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I can confirm that the Component Placement tool does move the assembly components five inches. I have no idea why. What did was Show assembly 0530's Reference Geometry (RMB click on the item in the DE) and apply an Offset constraint between the YZ-START PLANE and the parallel plane of the assembly with the appropriate offset value to move it one inch.

idslk

Alibre Super User
pick only one part of the subassembly (eg. 00531) and move it by 1".
If you take 6 parts (all parts in the subassembly) it will apply the 1" 6 times...why ever...
Over all it's better to use contraints...

Regards
Stefan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello @sz0k30 ,

i'm a little curious. Have you tried to select only one component of the subassembly to move it?
1670362220752.png

will it match the way you like to do it?

Regards
Stefan

sz0k30

With a conversation with Support, I have tried to select & move just one component and it works. I didn't try it initially because it doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to move just 1 component, but the hole 00530 sub-asm, so why would I just select just one component of it? I kept trying to select 00530, but it wouldn't highlight, so I kept selecting all 6 components - they all highlighted so I expected all of them to move only the 1" that I specified.

If I wanted to move only one component I would do it in the actual sub-assembly NOT in the main assembly.

Thanks for the help guys.

Toybuilder

Think of the component as a "grab point". Each grab point you specified, you move 1 inch. Grab six different points and move them 1 inch each, and you've moved 6 inches. It's quirk that you get used to pretty quickly, I think. I wish there was a way to just grab and move the assembly as an entire assembly.