What's new

components in step import assy

moyesboy

Alibre Super User
components in step import assy

I imported a fairly complex step assembly from a solid works user.
This has several levels of sub assemblies and lots of repeated components.

Unfortunately all the repeated componets are just that. Each identical component becomes a new separately recorded part, rather than the same part referenced. Is this how step always is? Did I miss a switch in the import operation on alibre? or is there something that the sldwx user needs to do to make the step call up multiple instances of the same part?

edit<<hmm I might have been wrong there. But If I apply a colour to the repeated parts it seems I have to do each one individually>>

The other problem is that every part in the assembly is the same colour.
Is there something I can do quickly that will allocate different colours to all the different parts? or at least allocate colours to each sub assembly!
...it takes a while to allocate a colour to each part separately but I have got to do a bit of that just to understand how it all fits together!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Moyesboy

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I have imported quite a few stps from a number of source CAD programms. The result has always been what you describe.

Just so you don't feel lonely :wink:

marm37co

STEP 214

Hi.

When I export from SE use the format STEP 214. This format save the colors of the parts and Alibre import and read these colors. The format 203 do not save colors.

Best Regards,

Miguel

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

opening the step in spinfire shows it all the same colour too.
opening the step file in wordpad reveals on the third line that it is step 203.
I will try to get step AP214 in future (which is supposedly the preferred standard for mechanical work).
http://www.steptools.com has a lot of light reading for anyone avoiding the family over thanksgiving.
http://www.steptools.com/library/standard/step_2.html has a list of the different AP Nos.

Moyesboy
UK

<<edit>>
Well I got the same step assy as 214. It was still all battleship grey default but for a few screws that were blue! Maybe my associates are colourblind? or have B&W screens?!
I have put in an enhancement request for allocating random colours during import of assemblies.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re: STEP 214

marm37co said:
Hi.

When I export from SE use the format STEP 214. This format save the colors of the parts and Alibre import and read these colors. The format 203 do not save colors.

Best Regards,

Miguel

What Miguel said reminds me that steps comming from a particular client (Catia V5 users), always import with different colours for all parts. Stps from the rest of my clients are always gray. I guess that asking for 214 stps is a good idea :D