What's new

Computer Specs

DIXON

Computer Specs

Hello all,
This is the second time that I have posted this question but I think I may have done something wrong the first time as I could not see my post in the forum so apologies if it turns up twice.
My question is as follows Iam soon to take delivery of a new computer and I would like to know if it is suitable for AD expert v10 {I hope it is cos that what I forked out a lot of hard earned for } the specs are as follows, CPU = Intel core 2 duo Quad core Q6600
Graphics card = nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb
Memory = 8Gb corsair DDR2 667 memory
1000 Gb Seagate Hard drive {Raid stripe}
OS = Windows xp pro 64 bit.
I have had AD expert for almost 1 year now , but I only joined the forum today.
Regards,
Warsteiner5.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Hi there!

Looks almost server grade to me... :shock: (I'm using this emoticon, because there doesn't seem to be one for covetous drooling...)

Anyway, I don't see a problem in running it. Just keep in mind that Alibre is still a 32-bit standard app, so it's not going to take advantage of the 64-bit Windows or the other three cores.

In the meantime, welcome to the forums! :D

Out of curiosity (and that I'm a real geek at heart), what other thing will you be doing with this PC?

DIXON

Hello Jordan,
Many thanks for your reply to my post. In answer to your question Re, My computer, It will only be used for AD and nothing else I also use a Siemens workstation that has at the moment 4Gb memory {but it can be taken up to 32 GB}. So the Siemens will now be relegated to the role of my backup machine although it is a very good machine that performs great {never any problems} so I hope the new machine is as good. Hope this answers your query.
Best wishes,
Dixon.

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User

I'm about to buy/build an AD specific machine and am aware that AD does not benefit (or does so in a limited way) from 64bit and/or Multicore processors.
Knowing that, what would be near the top in AD performance? Some single core 3.x Ghz AMD or Intel? Which one?

I'd hate to think that in buying a new 2 or 4 core based computer that my AD session will be running at 2 Ghz.

If you go to the Benchmark websites you see the fastest machines all running multicore CPUs. I assume that the benckmark test software is based on multicore useage. Probably the latest version of Quake...

Whats an AD user to think?

-Jimpulse

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

I think (others may correct me if I'm wrong) is that while Alibre is taking processing time on one CPU, you still have the other (or other three) cores ready to help out on other tasks-- therefore you still get an overall performance boost. I couldn't tell you if multiple instances of Alibre will use other cores or not, but may be worth looking to. Not by me, since I don't have anything dual core or above. Hence my previous drooling... :lol:

Regards,

Jordan

cmaksym

Re:

JordanCClark said:
I think (others may correct me if I'm wrong) is that while Alibre is taking processing time on one CPU, you still have the other (or other three) cores ready to help out on other tasks-- therefore you still get an overall performance boost. I couldn't tell you if multiple instances of Alibre will use other cores or not, but may be worth looking to. Not by me, since I don't have anything dual core or above. Hence my previous drooling... :lol:

Regards,

Jordan

I heard that that alibre currently does not support dual core processors (therefore only 1 processor is being used on a dual core machine for alibre processes). Version 11.0 may upgrade this feature and run on dual core and/or maybe even on multi-core platforms. Cross your fingers......

CMAX

payers

Re: the comment about dual core CPU's being clocked at 2Ghz...

While it's true that the Intel chips are not clocked overly high from the factory, they do have a lot of headroom provided one is using the right motherboard. I am not an overclocking guru by any means, but I do know people that are running chips at 700 Mhz over their factory settings on air using after market cpu coolers.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I got this system last month:

Intel Core 2 duo E6850 (3.0GHz)
nVidia 8800GT
4Gb DDR2

I got the fastest dual rather than a quad.

Having a dual processor does seem to make life easier for Alibre, even if it can't benefit directly. The performance increase I'm getting seems out of all proportion to the increase in clock speed over my old system.

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Yes Miles I agree.
We have at the moment in Germany a 2 weeks waiting period for the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 2 x 3 GHz
Core 2 Quad CPU`s at the moment are only good for the advertising... :lol:

Ralf

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Hi, I popped in for almost nothing but just counting up my post number, perhaps...

But I wonder how good it would be with your, Dixon's, PC, the AD would be!
Please report the AD performance with that machine when you start it off.

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I have been using a Dual 3.2Ghz Xeon machine for a couple of years now. Alibre benefits for being able use 100% of one of the processors. I would have to say that the greatest benefit for Alibre is plenty of RAM. My machine has 2G.

I can’t wait until Alibre can utilize multi cpus.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

wathavy4 said:
Hi, I popped in for almost nothing but just counting up my post number, perhaps...

Only 5 to go.......

Do you want me to sign in as a new user and ask some easy questions? :wink:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Re:

MilesH said:

"Do you know what the instructor meant by 'double-clicking'?"
-Older guy sitting next to me in a college CAD class. I about fell over. :shock:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

OTE_TheMissile said:
"Do you know what the instructor meant by 'double-clicking'?"
-Older guy sitting next to me in a college CAD class. I about fell over. :shock:

Hehe.

Please sir, sir, sir.... I know the answer sir.... It's when you have a dual core processor, you have to click once for each core...

Double-clicking - I got rid of that as soon as it was possible to.... yuk.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Re:

MilesH said:
wathavy4 said:

Only 5 to go.......

Oh, do that quick, but stay up late otherwise Tim and Jordan cut them out down.... and help them instead... :lol:

gulrad

Before you get to far off topic.....

I have a Dual 2.4 Ghz Intel with 1.5 GB Ram.

96 MB Ram on Video and 2 GB Virtual.

Available Physical Memory 743.84 MB

I'm running XP SP2 and would like to adjust the physical memory, just to see if that is it.

Anyone know how to do this in XP?

Also,

I have the most up-to-date JAVA VM for programming with Netbeans, DirectX 10. + MPLAB IDE (For Micro-controller). All work well.

The problem I have with Alibre is disappearing windows and memory shutdowns.

Maybe a video card?
More RAM?

I got the system from an employer and it was running the Top End Solidworks at the time with no problem. All I replaced was the Hard Drive.

Thanks for any info.

Ralf

Alibre Super User

[...]
I have the most up-to-date JAVA VM for programming with Netbeans, DirectX 10. + MPLAB IDE (For Micro-controller). All work well.
[...]

MS Java Virtual Machine

Download

1- Download
2- Install
3- Restart
4- Start Alibre Design

Ralf