What's new

Configurations

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I will. I just upgraded to pro simple for the Configs update.

The company that I work for makes many different styles of parts. Most dimensions on these parts are the same, only the length hole size and tapper change between each part. Our parts have a thread on one end that is common to all of the parts. On the other end there is a hole. Also the hole end OD is tapered to a set dimension over the hole diameter.

With configurations I can model the basic part once.
Then for the next style I will create a new configuration.
To activate the new configuration left click on it in the design explorer and select activate.
Once the new Config is active I can then open the equation editor and change the values of the dimensions that are different, and the model will update accordingly.

This way when I create the assemblies with these parts I do not have to model each style of part. I just model it once then choose the configuration that I want in the assembly

I hope this helped and didn't confuse you more.

lens_cad

I can envision some other useful purposes for configurations.

Different states of completion of a part can be created so that the steps of production can be illustrated on a drawing.
Different positions of parts in a mechanism could be created as configurations of an assembly.
A boolean subtraction could create a configuration of an advanced cutaway of a part to display as an isometric view on a drawing.

Of course we'll have to wait and see what specific capabilities are presented in the configurations in Alibre V9.

Len

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

Different builds of the same assembly can be done with configurations.
These can be shown on the same drawing and the parts list can have a column for each assembly build with quantities appropriatley listed and zeros for the parts not in the specific build.

...oops I should say "might" rather than "can" I suppose until the alibre config fuctionality published!
:)