What's new

"Convert to Sheet Metal" issue - disappearing material

MikeStrickland

I'm on Alibre Design 25.0.1.25037

A very simple part is giving me problems. It's basically like the attached 'new part (1)' file.
Two simple folds, and a cut going through into the bend radius region.
('extrusion 3' is optional, it just puts a 90° edge on the cut; but the effect is the same with or without)

1661941042552.png

when I try to convert this part to SMP, the upper part of that split tab just disappears entirely,

1661941124300.png

am I missing something obvious here? I did skim over forum posts but didn't find anything obvious

Does this happen for anyone else?

Attachments

• New Part (1).AD_PRT
    335 KB · Views: 12

lamar

A part like that I would do directly in sheet metal.

Attachments

• Test part.AD_SMP
    354.5 KB · Views: 2

MikeStrickland

yes, that was the only workaround I could find. Just unwelcome when all the designs and all their different configs were done as part files rather than SMP; creates a lot of work I wasn't banking on. ho-hum.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Could be a work around...

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Tricked.AD_SMP
    379.5 KB · Views: 7

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'm on Alibre Design 25.0.1.25037

A very simple part is giving me problems. It's basically like the attached 'new part (1)' file.
Two simple folds, and a cut going through into the bend radius region.
('extrusion 3' is optional, it just puts a 90° edge on the cut; but the effect is the same with or without)

View attachment 37078

when I try to convert this part to SMP, the upper part of that split tab just disappears entirely,

View attachment 37079

am I missing something obvious here? I did skim over forum posts but didn't find anything obvious

Does this happen for anyone else?
My guess is that Alibre does not recognize the short upper tab as a continuation of the larger bottom tab/flange. For this simple part it is better to just recreate in SM as has been suggested. For more complicated parts, that would take a lot of work to replicate in SM, you can insert an extrusion to bridge across the cutout and that should convert without any issues.

Here is an example that has Extrusion<4> added to bridge the gap:

1661964412791.png

Here is the SM conversion:

1661964504418.png

And here is the SM part with Cut<2> added to remove the bridge:

1661964584833.png

Attachments

• New Sheet Metal Part (3).AD_PKG
    84 KB · Views: 0

idslk

Alibre Super User
I think you need to upload a Package file for the sheet metal conversion.
-hadn't yet transfered a converted sheetmetal...interesting to know. Appended the package.

hopefully ist works now :)

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Tricked.AD_PKG
    92.7 KB · Views: 2