What's new

convert to sheetmetal

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

i wanted to convert a 3D-Part into a sheetmetal part. Not been able to...
I've appended here a not so complex part as mine, but it behaves nearly the same - it won't be "automaticaly" converted.
upload_2019-4-12_18-43-21.pngupload_2019-4-12_18-45-40.png
Of course this part could be done in sheetmetal without the cuts and puting them into after folding, but if there are more and difficult cuts...
Any ideas?

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Convert_to_Sheetmetal.AD_PRT
    480 KB · Views: 5

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
The cut shall be made in the sheet metal part , with the SH cut Tool.

Attachments

• Convert_to_Sheetmetal.AD_PRT
    377 KB · Views: 2
  • Convert_to_Sheetmetal.AD_SMP
    526 KB · Views: 2

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Oldbelt,

thanks for your reply.
The cuts in my "sheetmetal part" are projected from geometry out of an assembly. I want to maintain association to source entity.
If i copy the sketch and paste it to the sheetmetal part after creating the sheetmetal unbend/bend process, "i" (alibre) loose the association. Here is my problem. If i have to change things in the assembly, my sheet metal part won't change accordingly. That's not what i desire. Is there a way to maintain the association to the source?

Regards
Stefan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Stefan,
Maybe you've already thought of or tried this but why don't you just make the part in sheet metal and forgo the convert process? If the part is similar to the example you uploaded you should still be able to project to sketch for the cut without the Unbend/Rebend steps.

Attachments

• Sheet Metal Example.AD_SMP
    484.5 KB · Views: 3

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Harold,
thanks for your reply. I've never done much with Alibre Sheetmetal and thought i'll give it a try. Had a part which looks like it could be a good candidate for sheetmetal. With no fear i hit the convert to sheetmetal button... I've posted the result.
In the meantime i've tried to read the "help" and i found the "contour flange". So your example is welcome. Thanks.
I'll gone play with contur flange a bit.
What still will be left is, that at the beginning of "my" design it wasn't clear that there will be a possible sheetmetal part. If the convert to sheetmetal works a little bit better (maybe more possibilities to intervent manually?), the converter would be very helpfull (the part i'm working on isn't as easy as the samples here...)
Regards
Stefan

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
The up loaded exsample is made with the Contour flange Tool.
The part in your assemply controlling the cut out is subtracted with a boolean operation in the Sheet metal part.
If you change the controlling part it is reflected in the SM part.
Unbend is OK.

Attachments

• Sheet Metal Partcountur (2).zip
    118.3 KB · Views: 5