What's new

Converting Multiple Drawing Dimensions to Metric

Dear Sirs,
I have been asked to modify a number of drawings to facilitate fabrication of parts where they use the metric system.
Currently the drawings all have primary dimensions as fractional inches, and the alternate in decimal inches.

It'd be great to have a 'second' alternate to add, but I do not believe Alibre supports this.

I believe I can place the metric measurement as the alternate for a dimension, but how do I do this globally?

I have tried to create a template with a new Dimension Style (call it English-Metric), which has primary dimensions as fractional inches, and alternate dimensions as mm, but when I open a drawing, and go to its properties to change to my new template, the dimensions do not do what I expect.

Is there s simple example out there showing how this could be done? I have many drawings, each with many dimensions.

Sincerely,
Duane Kaufman

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Duane,

You can: Show Dual Dimensions:

AD Home Windows -> Open -> Choose your 2D Drawing Template(s) and activate: Show Dual Dimensions -> Save -> Close

Dual-Dim.png

Also important set the "first" Dim Style:

Dim-Style.png

Open one of your existing 2D Drawings (with the activated dual dimensions option) and check:

Dual-Sample.png

Last edited:
Dear Sirs,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I know how to do dual dimensions.

I am looking for information on how to do this for many already-created drawings with many dimensions.

Sincerely,
Duane

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I know it would be a PITA but you could just open each drawing and change the Secondary dimension to be millimeters. That should change all the dimensions on the drawing but be aware that if you need to add tolerances to the mm dims that would need some individual dim editing.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
When you created your new template, did you set your 'English-Metric' style to be the default style ?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Duane,

After you have enhanced your template(s) like in my description above:) with Dual Dim...
Open your existing 2D Drawings and :

Dual-Dim.gif

Last edited: