What's new

Copy to new part drawing

GordonL

Is there a way to copy parts of a sketch to a new part? For instance if I want to reuse parts of an existing design in a new design but want to remove certain features. I have been using save as under a new name and removing the features that I do not want in the new design. That works if I want to just use just that part of the design but suppose that I want to use parts of drawing A and parts of drawing B to make a whole new drawing C. In my old 2D program I frequently used that by selecting items and copying to the clipboard and then pasting them into the new drawing.

GordonL

That is fine for simple features but I am thinking something like the attached where I want to remove the mounting feet and add new feet in a different location or perhaps add some other foot design from a different drawing.

HallSensorTwoBit.jpg

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello GordonL.

You can create different 3D-Feet (complete Features - not only sketches) and save them as catalog features.
Create your "part A" without foot and save it.
Use insert Catolog Feature and insert one of your feet from you feature catlog drawer...
So if you have structured your designs for those exchangable features, if will be like a box of bricks...

Regards
Stefan

jroy

That is fine for simple features but I am thinking something like the attached where I want to remove the mounting feet and add new feet in a different location or perhaps add some other foot design from a different drawing.

View attachment 38410
Hi Gordon, you can definitely cut and paste from a sketch to another newly created sketch. Just select everything you need or select everything then CTRL-C to copy. Then from a different part file select a plane and create a new sketch, from there just do a CTRL-V and you should have all that was copied earlier. If for some reason you want to create variations of the same part then you should consider using configurations in the same part file, making sure to suppress the features you don't want for that variation. But before doing that, create a new sketch.

Hope it helped...

GordonL

I was hoping for something like being able to select sketch 1, sketch 4, sketch 7 etc with their extensions from the menu and copy that to the clipboard and then paste that into a new drawing and then go to another drawing and copy sketch 2, 3, 6 etc and then paste those items to the new drawing. It does not sound like that is possible. All that you are able to do is create a new drawing an remove the unwanted items but the there does not seem to be a way to merge two drawings.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
In my old 2D program I frequently used that by selecting items and copying to the clipboard and then pasting them into the new drawing.
All that you are able to do is create a new drawing an remove the unwanted items but the there does not seem to be a way to merge two drawings.
As you are finding out, Alibre is a 3D modeling program that does not work like a 2D drawing program. It will require some new thinking and work flows to accomplish what you want.

Please post which version, v24, v25, v26, and level of Alibre you have, Expert, Pro or Atom. (maybe put that in your forum signature.) That will make a difference on whether or not you can use configurations which are only available in Expert. Catalog features are only available in Expert and Pro. It may be that doing the Save As process you have adopted may be the only solution available for you.

But you should still be able to copy the sketches. While editing a sketch copy the sketch, as @jroy suggested, then in the new part use Paste Stamper from the RM menu to paste the sketch down where you want it.

Last edited:

GordonL

You are correct. I have spent the last 30 years using 2D and it a problem changing my thinking. I have been using this program for about two months and I am still learning how to use it.

I am using Atom V26 so as I have discovered this version has some limitations.