What's new

Copying part features

srjacob

Does anyone know how to copy features from a part from one part to another?

I am trying to merge 2 parts together and 3D print the result, and getting terrible stl files (full of errors). I just want to make one part file for my new part and try to 3D print that.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
In Alibre Design Pro or Expert - For merging two parts together use the Boolean Add function. IF you just want a feature, like an Extrude Boss or Cut, then use Catalog features to save the feature out of one part and insert it into another.

I'm not sure if those options are available if you are using Atom 3D.

srjacob

I have Design Expert. I was building an assembly, joining two part together, and then saving the stl file. The .stl file has a huge amount of errors, and trying to fix the errors completely messes up the .stl file. The 3D print is also messed up, even on the non-repaired part.

When I export .stl files for each individual part, the .stl files are fine, and print cleanly. I think there is a problem with assemblies producing .stl files.

I was hoping I could completely copy the features from one part and copy them onto the other part so that I have a single part and not an assembly.

Catalog only lets me take one feature, not the entire feature tree.

Any other suggestions?

Steve

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Looks like Boolean Add is the way to go, depending on how the parts are joined together in the assy.

Do you have a screen shot of the parts?

srjacob

I am making a custom case for a Raspberry PI and PI camera for Octoprint. I have made the Pi case as a separate part, and the camera case as a separate part. I tried then to make an assembly of the two parts, and used constraints to glue them together in the appropriate manner. Then I exported an .stl file from this assembly so I could 3D print the new assembly. The stl file had all sorts of errors (triangles not manifold, overlaps, etc.). When I sliced the file and printed it, the print was a mess of goop. Both parts were fairly complex, which probably accounted for the issue, but there is definitely a problem in Alibre exporting an .stl file from an assembly.

I did not report this to Alibre because I dropped maintenance this year (due to financial considerations). Knowing I would receive no support, I decided to not spend the time to document this and package it up for Alibre support. The thought here was that even if they did fix it, I needed to get the part finished and would never get the fixed version of Alibre anyway.

I then tried to use boolean add to add the camera case to the PI case (inside the PI case part) and then export the .stl file of the new part. This gave me the same result as making an assembly and exporting the .stl file-an .stl file that contained so many errors that it was unusable.

Since I didn't want to fool around with this anymore, I then decided to open the PI case part, and manually add the features of the pi camera. I did that, exported the .stl file (the .stl file contained NO errors), and it printed correctly. Anyway, I got the part I needed, but it was a pain. Actually, a boolean is similar to an assembly.

There is clearly a problem in the way Alibre exports .stl files from booleans or assemblies. I have had some that have worked ok, but not this time. I don't know if this a general export problem, or just for .stl files.

Now I know that I need to create the entire part, not try to assemble part in order to get a good .stl file.

Steve

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Steve,

Please try:
Export your Alibre Assembly -> *.SAT file -> Save -> Close
Alibre Home:
Import your *.SAT file with Alibre (Heal Option checked) -> Save -> Export -> *.STL with the "right" STL settings.

Important for the import of 3D files: Clean files with valid geometry. (Completely independent with which 3D CAD software.)
I suspect that a 3D Part of your assembly was imported with errors, hence my comment.

srjacob

Your suspicion is incorrect. Both parts (by themselves) exported a clean .stl file, and I always check the 3D parts (Inspect->Check Part) before I export them.

I mentioned this in an earlier post.

I also don't know what you mean by the "right" settings.

In any case, I have found importing and exporting parts with Alibre VERY problematic.

Something happened when I tried the assembly or boolean.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Your suspicion is incorrect. Both parts (by themselves) exported a clean .stl file, and I always check the 3D parts (Inspect->Check Part) before I export them.

I mentioned this in an earlier post.

I also don't know what you mean by the "right" settings.

In any case, I have found importing and exporting parts with Alibre VERY problematic.

Something happened when I tried the assembly or boolean.
Hi Steve,

It looks like there is a misunderstanding because I meant the IMPORT of 3D files with defective geometry because there are many problems with the import of 3D parts with defective geometry if you try to create clean files for Export. (In any case.)

Did you try my proposal?
If not, it is certainly no problem for you if you send the 3D source data here in the forum, then we can see where the problems actually are.

srjacob

And what I am saying is that the Alibre part files had NO defective geometry. And I checked the assembly, and it did not have defective geometry either. The export to .stl from the assembly is what created the defective .stl file. I wish Alibre could import .stl files like so many other CAD programs can (including FreeCad), but it can't.

And, the part files were created, not by importing a part file (stp, sat, etc.), but by building it up feature-by-feature.

Anyway, I didn't try your proposal because I have a part model that satisfies my needs (and that gives me a good .stl file), and I deleted the bad exported .stl file. As I mentioned earlier, I just got tired of futzing with this and went ahead and added the features of the camera housing to my PI housing part.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
And what I am saying is that the Alibre part files had NO defective geometry. And I checked the assembly, and it did not have defective geometry either. The export to .stl from the assembly is what created the defective .stl file. I wish Alibre could import .stl files like so many other CAD programs can (including FreeCad), but it can't.

And, the part files were created, not by importing a part file (stp, sat, etc.), but by building it up feature-by-feature.

Anyway, I didn't try your proposal because I have a part model that satisfies my needs (and that gives me a good .stl file), and I deleted the bad exported .stl file. As I mentioned earlier, I just got tired of futzing with this and went ahead and added the features of the camera housing to my PI housing part.
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, nobody can verify your statements, because your 3D files are not available.
But anyway, I just wanted to help you.

srjacob

When I posted my original post, I wanted to know if there was a way to copy features from one part to another. It became clear that, except for catalog, there wasn't. I ended up doing it manually. I explained why I wanted to do it, but didn't get any helpful suggestions. Anyway, I did it manually, and got the part I wanted all along. And, since I didn't renew my maintenance, I knew I couldn't get any help from Alibre. My final comments were that there is a bug in .stl export for assemblies, and I'll know better next time not make an assembly and expect to print it.

Steve

srjacob

Nope. Boolean only copies the entire part, not individual features. Tried it, got the same results as an assembly.

srjacob

Nope. Boolean only copies an entire part, not individual features. Tried that approach, got the same results as doing the assembly-that is, an stl file full of errors. I just wanted to copy a group of features, not the entire part. It seems like the boolean method is not dissimilar to an assembly. Alibre needs to look at this issue.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Nope. Boolean only copies the entire part, not individual features. Tried it, got the same results as an assembly.
Use a new config and direct editing/suppress to blank out unwanted features and boolean unite that config into your other model.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Steve,

i made a little test with a 9 part native alibre assembly.
I exported it as a binary stl, viewed the resulting stl-files in freecad and an online stl-viewer.
First the complete assembly: no issues
second the assembly with 8 suppressed parts: no issues
third a part of the assembly with 2 suppressed features: no issues
Would you be able to post your native alibre-pkg for a test?

Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If STL export settings are set 'too fine' - it can lead to problems. You may need to experiment a bit with export settings.

I'm not suggesting that is 'correct' - am just pointing out experience that others have seen.