What's new

Copyright Issues

Hi Folks

This is a question for the Legal Eagles I suspect, but probably has some relevance to many of the folk on this site.

I recently (December 2021) bought Alibre Atom 3D and am in the process of trying to learn to use it. I am in the seriously wrinkly home user category and have a desktop PC of reasonable power and a new Dell laptop that continues to disappoint. I keep getting the feeling that once I have mastered Atom to a level that will aloow me to design stuff to be created in the Garage (Workshop) I might well wish to have Atom on the laptop to refer to whilst making.

Now my reading of the licence with the software is that I can use it on one machine. For a home user that seems pretty limiting, but it also says I can make a backup copy. Now since this software was downloaded and installed direct I have no DVD or whatever as a backup copy. Why can I not download my backup copy to the laptop? After all both copies will always be for one single user since nobody else in the house is interested in CAD and Making and I can only use one computer at a time.

Regards

Pete

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Not sure how the licensing works in Atom, but in Pro and Expert, I would be safe to say that people have it installed on a couple of machine (laptop and desktop or workshop PC). BUT ... you can't run both at the same time. You also have to release the license from one machine and install it on the other to activate it before you can use it. Swapping between machines soon becomes a real pain, so I would suggest putting Atom 3D on your laptop and moving that around OR for the relatively low price of an Atom 3D license, buy a second licence!

I would drop Alibre support an email and see what solution they suggest for your specific circumstances, they may have a better idea!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Pete,

You have misunderstood the licensing conditions. You can install Atom3D on as many computers as you wish. You can only have it ACTIVATED at any one time on the number of computers for which you have purchased licence seats (so that is ONE for most users). You can transfer the activation at will - see https://help.alibre.com/articles/#!alibre-help-v24/transfer-license-key-between-computers

An installation that is not activated can be used in VIEWER mode.

Licensing is explained on the Alibre web site https://www.alibre.com/licensing/ you'll have the 'regular' licence.

Hi Folks

Thanks for your comments. I have now had a read of the website which I must have missed firt time around. Clearly not a home user friendly system if one needs to spend another £150 for a second licence.

It looks as if TurboCAD will join me in the garage instead.

Regards

Pete

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You just move your activation between computers - no charge for that, and it takes a few seconds to do it.

If you just need to view (and red-line) your designs when in the garage, Viewer mode is enough and doesn't need a licence.

Thanks for your follow up comment David. I think I will need to concentrate on upping my game with Atom so that there is something that I can build in the Workshop. I will follow your suggestions then.

Regards

Pete

BobSchaefer

Thanks for your follow up comment David. I think I will need to concentrate on upping my game with Atom so that there is something that I can build in the Workshop. I will follow your suggestions then.

Regards

Pete
So, just because I'm curious, is there any reason you can't build the item and then generate a set of drawings to print out and take those with you to the garage? Other than the obvious of not wanting to use so much paper, of course? I ask because that's pretty much how I handle all my designs, I build them on the computer and then put together a set of drawings that have the details that I need to make the parts and print those out and take them with me out to the garage.

Bob

simonb65

Alibre Super User
So, just because I'm curious, is there any reason you can't build the item and then generate a set of drawings to print out and take those with you to the garage? Other than the obvious of not wanting to use so much paper, of course? I ask because that's pretty much how I handle all my designs, I build them on the computer and then put together a set of drawings that have the details that I need to make the parts and print those out and take them with me out to the garage.
If this is a way to do it (i.e just reference the CAD design in the workshop) but the OP doesn't want to waste paper ... Just print the drawings to PDF and take them out to the garage on the laptop and reference them using the laptop! Saves paper and is just as flexible.

Hi Bob

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I hve previously done as you do taking paper output to the garage. I have this 'vision' that I could take the laptop with me and then, when making whatever it is and finding that it does not work out as I thought, could try a modification on the 'fly'. I have to point out that I am not by any means an engineer being a former academic. Since retiring I have devloped a few skills in metal working which have been of use in various ways.

We have also just acquired an A3 printer since our elderly laser has finally died. I must admit that printing a full design on A3 is appealing and if I get e decent handle on Atom and do the prototyping on the PC, a nice A3 print out might be all that is required.

Regards

Pete