What's new

Crash when opening

beastro

Hi,

All of the sudden, Alibre is repeatedly crashing when opening an assembly. Never happened before. I am suspecting there is a problem with some constraints in the assembly, but that should not prevent Alibre from opening the assembly.

Is there any way to open the file and see what is going on to fix it?

Thanks

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
How big is the assembly you're trying to open? Try opening each of the components of the assembly in their own workspace and see if any of them crash. That will at least eliminate individual parts.

beastro

It is pretty big and complex with various sub-assemblies. All sub-assemblies can be loaded individually.
I might have created a constraint loop which prevents Alibre to startup. I will try to rename the sub-assembly where it hangs and temporarily remove while loading. Maybe that way I can get into the design.

beastro

OK, I managed to open the assembly again. First, I tried to rename a suspicious part and thus take it out of the assembly. The following pop-up message showed some errors relating tp a global parameters file in which I had renamed a configuration ages ago. Never gave me problems until yesterday.
I went through every single part and sub-assembly and saw that the GP references pointed to the original configuration name "config1" and not to the updated name "Mbox 200". I am surprised that this is not done automatically in cases where there is only one configuration.
However, I corrected this and now I am able to open the assembly again.
Interestingly, all subassemblies affected by the naming issue opened perfectly on their own....

netcp

I went through every single part and sub-assembly and saw that the GP references pointed to the original configuration name "config1" and not to the updated name "Mbox 200". I am surprised that this is not done automatically in cases where there is only one configuration.
I stumbled across the same behavior. Alibre should give at least a warning that the relationships are break by renaming.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I stumbled across the same behavior. Alibre should give at least a warning that the relationships are break by renaming.
The problem is the hierarchy and what has visibility and what doesn't. The GP file is/can be referenced by many parts, sub-assemblies, assemblies. It has no way of tracking who is using it. It could be used by 100's or 1000's of parts! If it did, you would need a database driven CAD system, not a file based system, to manage the complex and vast associations.

So, the best approach is to not edit the GP reference names after you start using them. In this instance, a bit of planning up front and name the configs accordingly before referencing them. It's the only way you can approach this type of problem without the application becoming really complicated, with the potential to break internal linkages, very quickly.

... it's the same reason changing a part/assembly filename outside Alibre is a big no-no too!

beastro

In m
The problem is the hierarchy and what has visibility and what doesn't. The GP file is/can be referenced by many parts, sub-assemblies, assemblies. It has no way of tracking who is using it. It could be used by 100's or 1000's of parts! If it did, you would need a database driven CAD system, not a file based system, to manage the complex and vast associations.

So, the best approach is to not edit the GP reference names after you start using them. In this instance, a bit of planning up front and name the configs accordingly before referencing them. It's the only way you can approach this type of problem without the application becoming really complicated, with the potential to break internal linkages, very quickly.

... it's the same reason changing a part/assembly filename outside Alibre is a big no-no too!
In my case, I did not rename references, but created new configurations renaming the default configuration to something meaningful. This is normal procedure along the way of designing and should be handled correctly.