What's new

Create a library from spreadsheet data

Capitain

Hi,
while experimenting with Alibre I needed a part library, I only had a spreadsheet with rectangular tube dimensions and part numbers and I’ve used Wizoscript (great tool, by the way) in order to auto populate the library.
I’ve create a template part and used a script in order to modify and save it with a proper name. Of course the procedure can be adapted to other profiles, the only thing you need is a table with the dimensions.
Since all the parts are generated from the same template I suppose this will allow a painless replacement in an assembly, if a size change is required.
Attached are the files I’ve created, if that'd be useful.

Attachments

• CreateLibrary.zip
    42.4 KB · Views: 69
Capitain -- If you check in Resouces you will find that I have a Library of all ASTM Square and Rectangular Tube sizes posted there. ???

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Very cool script but I think something is wrong. Tubes are not coming out as expected. For example what looks like it should be 400x400x20 is coming out as 50x50x20

Capitain

Pretty funny ... I don't know what's happening on your side, I've just re-run it and it works perfectly. Have you changed something except the path?

Attachments

• screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 70

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I only changed the paths. I figured out what was wrong. Alibre is not updating everything correctly if you switch to another window and let it run in the background. See attached. The sketch is updated but the feature is NOT correct. It is fixed with a regeneration. I will report this bug to Alibre.

Attachments

• tube.png
    tube.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I only changed the paths. I figured out what was wrong. Alibre is not updating everything correctly if you switch to another window and let it run in the background. See attached. The sketch is updated but the feature is NOT correct. It is fixed with a regeneration. I will report this bug to Alibre.

I confirmed for support this is now fixed in Alibre 2018 and AlibreScript.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Here are a few scripts that I modified from Andy's website so that they insert a new part into an existing assembly. The scripts cause windows with dropdown boxes to appear where you pick the size and length you require and the part is named and inserted.

Attachments

• RHS etc.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 21
Let' say I want a "series" of Parts that are related to "values" that may be calculated within a spreadsheet. I create a matrix of said values and, in the approach I use, the first row of that matrix will be the new Part name. Each susessive row will be values to be assigned to Equation Edior values as each new Part is created. The "top" of my Script will be a series of array values covering New Part Names and Equation Editor variabgles such that they can be accessed though a single "index variable" (usually "i"). Thus I can "step through" getting and assigning new values to Equation Editor values and then SaveAs to the new Part Name.

The biggest "hassle" is learning how to "populate" Python "array values" properly. If I wish to read directly from the spreadsheet, I organize my values in columns to simplify the "math."

Attachments

• PRELIMINARY Accessing Spreadsheet Data using WizoScript 20170213A.pdf
    115.5 KB · Views: 31

GIOV

Alibre Super User
The biggest "hassle" is learning how to "populate" Python "array values" properly. If I wish to read directly from the spreadsheet, I organize my values in columns to simplify the "math."
Oh Lew,
It is very frustrating that the Alibre team only concentrates on the graphic for retired hobbyists who like to praise them but not for the engineers who try to earn their daily bread and need credible support. His unanswered comment reflects the lack of interest in this regard. I hope that a creative element arrives to Alibre that will assert the real priorities of the software.
Sincerely
GIOV

It is very frustrating that the Alibre team only concentrates on the graphic for retired hobbyists who like to praise them but not for the engineers who try to earn their daily bread and need credible support. His unanswered comment reflects the lack of interest in this regard. I hope that a creative element arrives to Alibre that will assert the real priorities of the software.
Hi Giov -- You should also look at the "CSV Import" routine for Wizo/AlibreScript. It may make your life easier. It should be simple enough to generate a CSV from Row-vased Column sparated Values to get your dat loaded.

Yes, I know, but I don't use ASTM standards
What Standard do you use (and do you have a "defining dataset" for it that you could share?). I generate Libraries of such Parts (along with Libew Office Calc "Access Indexes" with fair regularity. -- Lew

GIOV

Alibre Super User
What Standard do you use (and do you have a "defining dataset" for it that you could share?). I generate Libraries of such Parts (along with Libew Office Calc "Access Indexes" with fair regularity. -- Lew
Thanks very much Lew for the answer. Is It feasible to do this keeping linked the spreadsheet so if I modify some Spreadsheet data will be automatic updated? Please send a tutorial will be great! I have Excel 2007, Open &Libre Office Spreadsheet. GP(variable) is not running with Link directly from Spreadsheet too.

Giov -- Having know the guy who created the modern spreadsheet program (at MIT in 1983) and watched from fairly close range how MIT and IBM pirated his work -- and how that was "transferred" to Macroshaft I go out of my way to avoid having anything to do with Excel. Donating $25/year to the (now) Libre Office group keeps me in their "good graces" and rewards those who, for the most part, created the general basis of the sodtware we use today...

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Giov -- Having know the guy who created the modern spreadsheet program (at MIT in 1983) and watched from fairly close range how MIT and IBM pirated his work -- and how that was "transferred" to Macroshaft I go out of my way to avoid having anything to do with Excel. Donating $25/year to the (now) Libre Office group keeps me in their "good graces" and rewards those who, for the most part, created the general basis of the sodtware we use today...
I completely agree with you said Lew. When was early in Alibre I was enthusiasm regarding of the Add-in Tools that offered in only one package (Motion, DesignCheck, AlibreCam (My license today doesn't run in both Original Laptop),ETBX.. ) and the future promise like this: AlibreLink! that give the chance of direct link to Spreadsheet in Part or Assemble workSpace. So frustrating. Only Graphic, Shop and Calendars like retail!. Alibre needs one Manager that know Engineering priorities for small companies that like grow in their skills. What about Physical Properties in 2D Workspace? Nothing.
upload_2019-4-1_17-16-33.png

Last edited:

BernardK

Alibre Super User
I completely agree with you said Lew. When was early in Alibre I was enthusiasm regarding of the Add-in Tools that offered in only one package (Motion, DesignCheck, AlibreCam (My license today doesn't run in both Original Laptop),ETBX.. ) and the future promise like this: AlibreLink! that give the chance of direct link to Spreadsheet in Part or Assemble workSpace. So frustrating. Only Graphic, Shop and Calendars like retail!. Alibre needs one Manager that know Engineering priorities for small companies that like grow in their skills. What about Physical Properties in 2D Workspace? Nothing.
View attachment 27274

GIOV,

This is a response to your LinkedIn message to me. Around 2010 I was experimenting with the Alibre API to produce a mechanism to implement global parameters. This has now largely been superceded by ADs implementation of global parameters. I have not used WizoScript but that looks like a good mechanism to interface to Alibre. I still use Alibre regularly and I am on current maintenance.

As part of this work I developed an Excel addin that copied spreadsheet cells to an Alibre part. It was last tested with Excel 2007 / AD2011. The attached zip file contains the addin. It also contains the source for the addin as Excel macros and a pdf file with instructions on how to integrate the addin with Alibre. It is supplied 'as is' with no guarantee that it will a) work with current versions of AD / Excel and b) do what you want it to.

If development is waranted I will be happy to put a little time in to update the addin for current versions.

Regards
BernardK

Attachments

• ConvertToPart.zip
    617.5 KB · Views: 21

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Fantastic BernardK!
I am implementing the add-in in my old Laptop witch has AD 11(V13) 32 bits & excel 2007. I will let you know. Happy the Alibre Forum run again without issues. :)

jordanyte

Hi,
while experimenting with Alibre I needed a part library, I only had a spreadsheet with rectangular tube dimensions and part numbers and I’ve used Wizoscript (great tool, by the way) in order to auto populate the library.
I’ve create a template part and used a script in order to modify and save it with a proper name. Of course the procedure can be adapted to other profiles, the only thing you need is a table with the dimensions.
Since all the parts are generated from the same template I suppose this will allow a painless replacement in an assembly, if a size change is required.
Attached are the files I’ve created, if that'd be useful.
This is extremely helpful thankyou for sharing.

I have modified this to make a library of electronic components which are all similar except for the dimensions. Very useful!