What's new

Creating a groove between two mortises - assigning points and using them

wphred

I have a project where I need to create a groove (to hold a panel) between two mortises. I know I can create a rectangle on the face, and with dimensions and constraints, have it run from mortise to mortise and use extrude cut to create the groove. I've done this already. What seems more intuitive is to create the rectangle by selecting one vertex of one mortise, and the diagonal vertex of the other mortise.

There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of doing that.

I've been reading about points and nodes, but I'm missing how I can assign one to a hole corner and then select it to start a rectangle.

What am I missing?.

Alibre Design Pro v27 build 27039
MSI Raider GE76

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You need to use Project to Sketch to create reference figures for you to select and create the new rectangle. The Project to Sketch icon is on the Sketch ribbon.

Last edited:

wphred

If you look at the model, one of the posts has three defined mortises. These were done by using the project to sketch function, using the tenon of the intersecting part (I did this in assembly mode, by editing the posts in the same window).

I'm not sure I know how to proceed along the lines you mentioned. I can go into sketch mode, and make a reference rectangle, but I have the same problem. I created two reference points at vertices (not sure they are at the vertices because if I keep zooming in at some point I see separation between the point and vertex. Don't know if that is a limitation of the graphics), but when I try to select them to make the reference rectangle they are not highlighted when I get my cursor on top of them.

I'm paying my dues right now, because I haven't used the software often enough to become proficient. It does seem odd to me that a vertex, which has to have coordinates to exist can't be directly selected.

If I made the panel with its tongues, I could use the tongues to project to sketch pretty easily and make the groove...............I just want to make it this other way.

With more forethought I could have made the grooves further upstream in the process.

Attachments

• posts_redux.AD_PRT
    375.5 KB · Views: 6

Ken226

Alibre Super User
If I understand your question, and I'm not very confident that i do, the the answer is no.

There is no direct way to select the nodes/points and create the groove directly, from within the 3d modelling environment. You will have to activate the 2d sketch environment and create a 2d sketch on the face of the post, to define the extents of the groove, and then from the 3d modelling environment, extrude cut the sketch into the post to create the groove.

Once the groove has been created, the face inside the groove can be directly manipulated using the "move face" tool. But, the extrude cut has to occur first.

1707195515569.png

Last edited:

wphred

What you have shown is what I have been doing with other parts, which are in the assembly. In 2D sketch mode I see no way to select vertices (which I had mentioned in a different post). The procedure to create the rectangle and place it within the extents of the mortises seems very inefficient. Grabbing two points (which I can do in other program) to create the rectangle seems better two me. From what I have read in other peoples' posts I'm not the only person frustrated by this.

I'll add a request in Suggest a Feature.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
This rectangle is defined by vertices only (Rectangle by 2 vertex):

1707200385470.png

I don't know if this will work in this case but it is possible to project vertices.

Attachments

• posts_redux_stephen.AD_PRT
    402 KB · Views: 2

wphred

Harold,

Thanks for schooling me (again)!! With more use and looking at more videos and tutorials, maybe I won't ask questions that have such simple solutions.

wphred

And Stephen,

Thank you as well. Between you and Harold, I have some practice in my very near future. I just wish my memory was better so I could retain more of this. Lots of practice is the only way it will become sticky.

Reactions: HPM