What's new

Critical Mass yet?

Has Alibre reached Critical Mass for Consultants?

• Yes, Alibre is there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not yet. At least 6 more months.

• Not yet. More than a year away.

• No, Alibre will never be big enough.

• Total voters

rbrian

Re:

indesign said:
...it would take Alibre to open native Pro-E files without loss of developement info before they would consider changing
:roll: Maybe that would be an enhancement request.
Agreed! And SE/SW Files. And - Save As - Versioning would be nice too! ( AD V8, 7, 6 ) :wink: Robert

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Ever go fishin' :?:

Some days not even a nibble?

The nibbles were coming every few months.

Now starting to hit every few weeks.

Can't really say crital mass yet, but there is some progress. 8)

demarchi

I used a couple of specific, proprietary, high cost translators in the past, but I didn't find any able to mantain history, or features.

indesign

Alibre Super User

As with you I did not hear of Alibre until just a few months back. They did an fantastic job of marketing with the Alibre Xpress giveaway and have made themselves a name. Their software has grown in leaps compaired to other companies. I think that have already stepped onto the toes of the big competition and they have started a marketing stradegy to fight it.

I have discovered that a large group out there still do not know about Alibre. The ones trying to find software now are hearing about Alibre when they go to look for 3D. This means that the marketing has done a very good job at promoting. If Alibre continues at this pace the competitors may have little options left other than offering simular lower priced versions of their current software.

I have already been sent a CD from one of the expensive companies with a free part modeler version having restrictions simular to the Xpress. However Alibre's forsight in selling module add-ons to the free version will make them even harder to fight because the average small company can afford these prices for the limited use they need. They can also add more as their needs grow but will not have to fork out $4200 to do it.

Also I like Alibre's way of thinking. They are out to make profit and the 100k plus small module sales must be doing it. They have already removed the Xpress limitation about being online and adds from the banner because they recovered more than enough from the Xpress modules and full version upgrades. They listened to the Xpress users so I know they listen to the full verison users.

Cameraman

I have yet to interface with someone outside of this forum who is familiar with Alibre, and that includes a very substantial list of people who use CAD software.

I suspect that the prime reason people are not familiar with Alibre is that they are already entrenched with another CAD package -- changing CAD packages requires a very VERY strong justification, and if you're not in the market for a new package then you're not going to be paying attention to ads and other information concerning available options.

The only reason I found Alibre last year was because we were considering the purchase of additional CAD seats and decided to consider other options before pulling the trigger. During my search, I stumbled onto a Desktop Engineering issue which awarded AD the product of the month (or maybe year) and I decided to check it out.

So, back to the original question . . . "critical mass"? . . . probably not anytime soon, at least by my definition . . . but I really like how Alibre has stuck by their business model and have thus far avoided getting in over their heads . . . keep up the good work, guys.

Regards,
Greg :D

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

Cameraman said:
I have yet to interface with someone outside of this forum who is familiar with Alibre...

Maybe because everyone who is familiar with Alibre is also in this forum... :D

rbrian

Expanding the awareness of Alibre Design - Ideas to try!

Along the lines of the Xpress version [X-CAD Promo] - how about - Hello Alibre, Inc. contacting magazine publishers that produce CD's with their Mags - and add ADX (Alibre Design Xpress) into the CD that gets out? I know I have seen a number of Magazines like this.

Also - maybe we (as users) could ask such magazines to add ADX to one of their issues and CD's? - and send them a link to Alibre, Inc's Contact Page!

Other - open local yellow pages - and email shops with a note - asking if they use Alibre Design (Include two links - AD, and ADX: http://www.alibre.com/ + http://www.alibre.com/xpress/ )
Plus this link: http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/articl ... ?id=261621
- as a pitch reason why they should us it! Just a thought! Robert