What's new

Datakit! Anyone tried it lately?

Re: Datakit! Anyone tried it lately?

indesign said:
It appears Alibre is now on their list for native support. I was curious if it converts all compatable design features and how well.

http://www.datakit.com/reso/news10/artc/art2_uk.htm

http://www.datakit.com/page_telechargem ... p?sortby=2

Looks like Alibre is getting out there now with these guys. Finally a convertor that treats Alibre as a leader in CAD.

I think you still end with a dumb solid, so it doesn't convert any features. Their download page doesn't really have anything to actually download, but I did put in a license request. From reading the website, their software basically lets you import what you'd get from a step203 or step214 translation without actually generating a step file first. It does at lease eliminate the possibility of converting out of date step files if the native SW part have changed.

What Alibre needs is a feature recognizer like those found in SW and SE that convert step files into native SW or SE features. They can only do so much, and can't convert every feature, but it is a "step up" (pun intended) from a normal step file import.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Here is the reply from Datakit.

My question-
"When converting a part from Solidworks does the design tree convert so that all the features can be edited? For instance can a radius be changed? Or how about the ability to modify a hole with threads? Things like that."

Datakit Reply-
=> When we read a catiav5 or a solidworks file within alibre design with our plugin, we import all geometric and topologic entities (bodies, surfaces/faces, curves/edges and points/vertices). Bodies are healed so it is easy to make any boolean operation or to project model on a drawing. Our import is not feature based. So it is not possible to edit any feature.

My Question-
"As for assemblies, Do all the constraints convert or are the parts just sitting free?"

Datakit reply-
=> We load assemblies in AD as assemblies so you still have the possibility to modify the assembly. But it is only one level assembly, meaning that there is no sub assembly. Parts are sitting free, we don't read constraints but the placement between parts is perfect.

:cry: Not exaclty what I was hoping for!

Re:

MilesH said:
indesign said:
:cry: Not exaclty what I was hoping for!
But, pretty much, what we expected :wink:

That's what it sounded like from reading their descriptions. Functionally, it's the same as a step import, but generated from native geometry instead of a step file.

pem

RE

Hi,

I asked them about price and they gave me this:

Catia to Alibre: 1 500 euro
SW to Alibre: 1 000 euro

it isn't cheap software :)

Pem

indesign

Alibre Super User

Better off to buy a copy of Bobcad. They open Solidworks native files and will export to iges or step. (you can buy it cheap if you talk them down)