What's new

Datums and 6 Degrees of Freedom

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Datums and 6 Degrees of Freedom

The illustrations on the pdf document, I made with Alibre and Photo Render. I am posting as I believe there will be general interest in the topic. The topic is part of a handbook that I am making.

Please go to the following link, and then hit the link called "Datums and Six Degrees of Freedom ( 6 DOF )".

http://candoris.home.comcast.net/page4.html

rbrian

Datums and 6 Degrees of Freedom - Handbook

Hi John,

This handbook looks very good, and it shows some very in depth understanding and explanation much more than I needed to know and understand as a pilot, and the symplified version I got at my workplace in Aerospace from an Engineer. It is also a very interesting and creative use of Alibre Design and photorender. In other words - I like it.

My own first explanation of the 6 DOF = rotatation and translation (Sliding or push-pull) about the 3 Axis. First heard when talking about Aircraft Flight Simulators Motion controls for Airliner Simulators and such. Obviously - there are a number of ways to look at it in great detail - as you have done! Thanks.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Thanks for the feedback. My background includes metrology, specifically using and programming CMMs. After QC and QA, I moved on to design. It is impossible to program a CMM and not understand the concepts of 6DOFs. Likewise, it is important for those making and communicating design functions to understand how the part they are designing is to be manufactured and inspected with respect to functional datums.

Using Alibre and Photorender was a natural choice for me to try to communicate these concepts. The section I have posted is just a portion of the handbook sections that I made (but it is the only one that I used AD and Photorender for the illustrations).

I hope others get some benefit from my work.

barrykingwill

John

The corrupt fonts on your website I mentioned in one of the threads.

Just for info, as it may not appear that way with your browser.

Barry

Attachments

• Clipboard.gif
    Clipboard.gif
    233.9 KB · Views: 2,157