What's new

Daunting reality of cloud software

tyc

Hi everyone,
I'm neither a subscriber to his channel, nor watched other videos of this gentleman before, however YouTube algorithm somehow led me to this video.

It's bizarre knowing software companies are able to dictate such user agreements. It's just unbelievable and gives a sneek peak of what they are capable of doing when they have their users by the balls.

I'm sorry if this is way too much off-topic. Moderators are welcome to delete if it is so.

Stu3d

I bought my other half a laptop and her phone photos were backing up to the free 5GB of storage, I think this started happening after Samsung changed something a few years ago.
I subscribed her to Office 365 which has 1TB free storage. She didn't use it so I didn't renew.
Microsoft sent a message saying any storage over 5GB had been deleted! Luckily you can undelete within so many days so I was busy moving photos/videos on to a hard drive to free up Onedrive space to undelete the files, a process I had to repeat at least once due to all her videos of our cats :rolleyes:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
One reason why most data centric businesses steer clear of the cloud (apart from the security issues!) ... unless they own the cloud servers, and why as a personal user, I would NEVER trust my data on a cloud server.

With modern day home/small business NAS boxes having large capacities and the ability to VPN directly to them from anywhere you happen to be travelling, with any device you may own, there really is no justification to ever put your data in the hands (and mercy) of someone else!

As for cloud based applications, you really are at the mercy of an EULA that has more holes than swiss cheese and being switched off at any point.

If you don't own the application or manage your own data storage ... it's only a matter of when you loose access to it, not if!

Ex Machina

Hi everyone,
I'm neither a subscriber to his channel, nor watched other videos of this gentleman before, however YouTube algorithm somehow led me to this video.

It's bizarre knowing software companies are able to dictate such user agreements. It's just unbelievable and gives a sneek peak of what they are capable of doing when they have their users by the balls.

I'm sorry if this is way too much off-topic. Moderators are welcome to delete if it is so.

I've watched Louis Rossman before. He has some great views and is a great proponent of the "Right to Repair" movement, having testified before the US Congress on the matter too. And he's pissed off Apple on numerous occasions showing that devices (phones and macbooks) that the "Geniuses" at the "Bar" say are beyond repair and you need to buy a new one, can be basically repaired with standard electronic techniques and at a cost of a few dollars.

keith20mm

Fan of Louis here. No cloud, never. No more apple products, ever. No subscription services. No annual renewals if I have bought it. Just say no. Refuse to be a victim. Own a copy of "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross, and read it often, Own guns. Pack heat. No iCloud, no forced logins. Use Linux wherever possible. Never take an automobile to a dealership. Never buy new cars. Do your own fixes, become more self-sufficient. Know your rights and live as a free person, instead of as a peasant on a sharecrop.

GeneT45

Boy do I not believe a lick of what Adobe is claiming there. Also, they're still going to frisk your files... But they're not going to use it for generative AI (instead they'll use it for some other AI, or just sell your info to others since that's turned into such a goldmine for Facebook and Google).

GsT