What's new

detail view causing sheet to print incorrectly

A

Anonymous

detail view causing sheet to print incorrectly

ok, I also noticed that for some reason when I open a drawing in Alibre Xpress at work (that I created in Ad pro at home), the detail view screws up the way the sheet prints. It doesn't print to full size.

I'm getting really tired of these little bugs and the speed issues!!!!! PTC is calling me all the time. Maybe it's time to make the switch.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Perhaps this could be a setting. If you use the same template on the Xpress and create a new drawing does it print correctly? Also have you checked in Xpress to see if the scale to fit is selected and the 'Current Sheet' not the current screen is selected?

BTW....I had PTC do the same to me. I wonder if the salesman is going through the Alibre forum for contacts. :lol:

Anyhow they did an impressive demo but the cost was way more than realistic for what we need.

A

Anonymous

I ended up deleting the drawing and doing it over. Alibre tech support told me that it was probably a dimension that was located far off of the view, but I couldn't find anything.

I've noticed a few other buggy things with the drawings. They only seem to occur when a copy of the drawing is saved to my thumb drive to take between computers and then reopened.

1. I am always prompted to updated the drawing even though nothing has changed.

2. Upon performing the update some vertical dimensions will switch to horizontal dimensions, some dimensions will be in red (even though nothing changed), and sometimes the drawings lose their edges.

3. Certain projections will have wierd loops on them that are part of the drawing. (I end up changing the layer of these loops and turning off that layer to hide them)

4. Hatching of cross-sections isn't always contained within the boundaries of the part. The hatch marks extend past the part edge by about a 1/16th of an inch.

5. edges are not always dimensionable even though they are perpendicular to the view. (I understand that Alibre won't allow you to dimension an edge unless it is perpendicular, but these ones were so there shouldn't have been an issue.)

All in all I've spent about 50 hours on a part and drawing that should have only taken 10-12 hours because of the speed issues with Alibre regenerating, saving, opening, and drawing detailing errors/issues. I'll admit that this is a complex molded part with a lot of fillets, but it shouldn't cause so many issues. I exported the part as a dumb .stp file and then imported it back into Alibre, Pro/e, and Catia. Pro/e and Catia opened it in about 30 seconds. Alibre takes several minutes. The money I earned on this drawing went from $50/hr to $10/hr. I use Alibre at home for side work, but I have access to all of the Big Boy programs at work. The only reason that I am sticking with Alibre right now is that I don't have enough side jobs to justify the $4000 for Pro/e when my Alibre maintenance is $295.

gregmilliken

Rob,

Sorry you are experiencing so many problems. I hope you have reported each of these issues, and if so we'll work to get them resolved. If not, please send me the drawings and I will ensure our development and QA groups start looking at them. You can email them to support@alibre.com and mention that I asked for them.

Thanks for sticking with us.

-Greg

A

Anonymous

I get an error when trying to send the files that the attachment is too large.

gregmilliken

OK, upload them to our ftp site at ftp.alibre.com. I will send you a private message with the username and password.

-Greg

indesign

Alibre Super User

Have you checked to see if you are running the same version of Xpress as your Alibre full? Before the email update was offered I simply went and downloaded the full install and entered the Xpress registration info.

Also I wonder if the limitations in Xpress could cause some of this. From what I heard it should not but just curious anyhow.

As far as speed goes there are a few things I do to help during the design process. I suppress anything I do not need to work with at the current time. Some things you simply can't do because they are linked in some odd way. I even let the error occur that says the object is no longer available. When I unsupress the error goes away..

So in short try to suppress all features not bieng used to design other features like bolt holes, chamfers, fillets, helical cuts, patterned parts, etc.

Hope this helps.