What's new

Detail View in Atom3D

jhuff

Hello -

I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a detail view in a mechanical drawing in Atom3D. The tool shows that a Standard View must be created before a Section, Detail, or Broken view.

I have been able to create Section and Broken views, but cannot figure out how to create a detail view. The video on detail views from Alibre shows a button to create a detail view, but I don't see that button in Atom3D. Is this just a limitation of Atom3D? If so, is there a suggested method to dimension smaller features in Atom3D?

Thanks!

jhuff

(for some reason the forum bot didn't like me attaching this image to the original post)

Capture.PNG

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Doesn't look like Detail view is an option in Atom3D. No tool Icon on the ribbon. That pop up is a carry over from Pro or Expert and needs correcting.

Seems a bit ridiculous to allow section and broken views. I would think that a detail view would be more useful than a broken view. At least I've used section and detail views more that broken views in my experience.

jhuff

I was worried that was the case... And yes, I agree - not having detail views is crippling compared to not having section and broken views. In my opinion, Atom3D is not usable as a parametric CAD tool without a detail view option, especially if you're sending drawings off to be manufactured (especially if you're dimensioning PCBs, like I am). I think the only workaround would be to screencap the views you need, then insert them as images into the drawing. Of course, that's a complete waste of a parametric design package.

I really wish that this was made more clear before buying the software... though Atom3D isn't exactly breaking the bank.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Atom3D is aimed at hobbyists, it doesn't have all the tools professionals might need.

If you need a detailed view - you could use an extra sheet with a large scale view of the part (perhaps larger than the sheet, with just the region of interest in the printable area). Not elegant, but much cheaper than upgrading to Professional.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, Atom3D is not usable as a parametric CAD tool without a detail view option, especially if you're sending drawings off to be manufactured (especially if you're dimensioning PCBs, like I am).

As David indicates, it sounds like you are trying to use a product targeted at hobby users for more professional or demanding work than it is intended for. Alibre Atom3D is for people who make their own stuff, primarily - personal projects they are going to 3D print or slap on a mill. Can you do more? Sure, depending on what more is. Detailed drawings of PCBs are not one of the use cases it was designed for, nor is that a typical use case for hobbyists. An upgrade to Pro might be a good solution.

jhuff

As David indicates, it sounds like you are trying to use a product targeted at hobby users for more professional or demanding work than it is intended for. Alibre Atom3D is for people who make their own stuff, primarily - personal projects they are going to 3D print or slap on a mill. Can you do more? Sure, depending on what more is. Detailed drawings of PCBs are not one of the use cases it was designed for, nor is that a typical use case for hobbyists. An upgrade to Pro might be a good solution.

Understood. It just seems like a basic functionality to me - one that I wouldn't expect to need professional software for. I suppose you need to draw the line somewhere though!

tollisE

I am experiencing the same problem. I need to create a detail view (using Atom3D v24). Any work arounds other than using an image?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned above, add an extra view at large scale, perhaps on another sheet.