What's new

dimensions on ellipse

dlaery

Alibre Super User
when i change a dimension on the ellipse it does not change the ellipse, the dimension changes:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    80.5 KB · Views: 14

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I could be wrong, but it looks like your dimensioning the distance between two points rather than the sketch line.

When you change the dimension, it just moved the lower point further away.

When I zoom in on the bottom of your part, I can see that the sketch line ends at the model, and your dimension leader terminates at a separate point not part of the sketch line.

Like perhaps you had a sketch line overtop of a reference line, and you dimensioned the reference line.

Last edited:

dlaery

Alibre Super User
i assumed the points was the sketch:oops: when i dimensioned it or modified it.
there was no ref line, except it probably made one when I use the symmetric constraint i made the ellipse, dimensioned, trimmed one side opposite from the dimensions and later came back and and modified, didn't notice that it didn't work. so i deleted the dim and go it work., thanks for looking. I always struggle with ellipses, they do not work well by dragging them

Ken226

Alibre Super User
The same thing has got me a few times. After the initial confusion I figured out what was going on and got in the habit of using the advanced selector on constrained sketch figures.

After clicking on the Dimension button and about to click a sketch figure, right click and select "advanced selector". It will show all underlying figures and allow you to pick which one you would like to dimension.

Untitled.jpg