What's new

Dimensions turns red

OrjanB

I wanted to go on working on a drawing made yesterday.

When I retreive the drawing some of the dimensions has turned red without changes in the geometry.
Why?

Is there any way of "refreshing" or must I delete and redo?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Orjan,

Without having the data it is not easy to help.
I recommend creating an AD package file and send it to your (reseller) support.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Delete and redo. You can change the layer of the dimension but it is no longer dynamic, so it won't update and a drawing refresh will send it red again. :mad:

ROTTER

This is extremely frustrating. I have no patience to insert dimensions again. I mark these dimensions and change the color to the dimensions color. I cannot say when and with what operations Alibre changes its dimensions to red.

Hunter

Yes, it is infuriating, this has happened to me a couple of times. EVERY time I now open a drawing it is with angst.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Save GP(Variables)>Save Assemble> goto the Drawing and Tools>Re-project View.
Note1: The measure It must be connected to a circle indicating the ends of the measured object, be it a part or an assembly. If not, you must connect it for it to work.
upload_2021-5-10_15-59-12.png
Note 2 : Now in my system is running well.

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
In the ADV11.2 the step Close Drawing and open again (In my case) wasn't necessary to update all measures.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@GIOV , I think the point here is that whilst your workaround to try and correct the issue may be valid, the question is why does this keep happening! There is a strong, and quite longstanding, desire to get dev to fix the cause rather than a user workaround solution. The 2D workspace is well overdue some feature additions and bug fixes compared to the 3D part/assembly workspaces.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
why does this keep happening! There is a strong, and quite longstanding, desire to get dev to fix the cause rather than a user workaround solution. The 2D workspace is well overdue some feature additions and bug fixes compared to the 3D part/assembly workspaces.
Simonb65, I agree with what you say but I tried to give some tools for solve better the issue in base of this:
When I retreive the drawing some of the dimensions has turned red without changes in the geometry.
Why?
Is there any way of "refreshing" or must I delete and redo?
GIOV

OrjanB

Thank you all for taking action regarding my question.

I hoped for an easy way of repairing red dimensions, but redoing seem to be the best available action.

I agree with simonb65 concerning the 2D workspace.
After all the drawing is the final product when working in Alibre.
Perhaps more effort should be put into this part of Alibre in order to make the work more fluent?

I take for granted that the AD-team read the forum and take actions according to comments/problems/wishes from users.
Not only when support is contacted.

Orjan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I take for granted that the AD-team read the forum and take actions according to comments/problems/wishes from users.
Not only when support is contacted.
Just because the AD team may read the forum doesn't guarantee that they will take any action. Sometimes it is beneficial to create a support ticket on an issue even when it is posted in the forum. That way Support can forward the issue to Development or at least tell you if the issue has been raised with Development and put on the "list". All the responses on the forum may give you a work flow for a temporary resolution to the issue but only Dev can fix it.

OrjanB

The oddities continues....
In the same project: There are 3 drawing sheets in the same file. I choose "Publish to PDF".
When I mark "All sheets" this error message shows:

upload_2021-5-13_13-11-45.png

When I choose individual sheets it shows OK in the PDF, exept that in the detailing views some of the circles containing the view is blue.
Not a big issue, but it adds to other rarities that indicates a not completed drawing-tool.

Harold:
I see your point.
Anyway it is my opinion that the forum has lot of input from real-world users wanting to use Alibre as a professional(?) tool.
This input I expect to be taken into consideration by the Alibre team, but of course, prioritize can be difficult.

Orjan

TwinStar

I guess this is still a thing. I'm a new user transitioning over from Sketchup. Watched the tutorials, had a few false starts, and then really go things moving. Right up to the point of losing a few hours worth of work when everything went red. I was promised an easier workflow but so far I'm not seeing it. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious.

dwc

Alibre Super User
My drawing is essentially rectangles inside of a larger rectangle at this point (railroad passenger car). I was working on a layer to extrude when all of the previous work went red borders.
Hi TwinStar and welcome to the forum.
Are you clear with the workflow? (I don't want to be insulting, but it happens often for people coming from 2D packages, I don't know anything about Sketchup, that there are problems getting used to the 3D workflow. But once you have caught on you will not look back. I say that from my own experience.)
For example 1) make a sketch to define your 3D objects outlines -> extrude that so you have a 3D object -> project a drawing from your 3D object.
Note that red in a sketch means that the lines are not completely constrained, red in a drawing means that the corresponding features of the drawing no longer exist on the 3D part. That can happen when your 3D modeling changes the numbering for the edges, for example.
If you already have a drawing finished of a 3D part you want to modify, be sure that for existing features that you modify the existing, but don't delete and remake them. In the first case the feature numbering remains, in the second the features will have new numbers and will not be found by the drawing, causing them to go red in the drawing, even those things that you have remade exactly as they were before.