What's new

Dimensions via Equation on selection

BlackBird28

Hi, im new to Alibre Expert.
Im working as a technikal productdesigner in my fulltimejob and bought Alibre Expert for my freelance-hobby stuff.
I have allready worked with Inventor, CATIA, Fusion360, Autocad.

Now i have a first Question:

Is it somehow possible to assign Sketch-dimensions by clicking on other dimension like in Inventor and CATIA?
Ii t is a bit confusing to asssign diemensions via the quation editor without having named allready made dimensions in bigger sketches.
In Inventor you click on a previus dimension and then you can edit the values in the current dimension.
inventor_fx.gif

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you set 'show equations' in the Dimension Properties (and then 'set current settings as default.....') you'll see the dimension names displayed. That makes setting dimensions relative to others much simpler, as you don't have to go digging in the EE for them.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
That makes setting dimensions relative to others much simpler, as you don't have to go digging in the EE for them.
@BlackBird28's video clip is less cluttered than showing the equations (de-clutters the display) AND it doesn't involve digging around in the EE, so all-in-all, a much better overall user experience. It's very intuitive and simple like adding cell references in formulas within excel! Can this enhancement be added to the enhancement request list David?

BlackBird28

DavidJ:
I have found a bug.
if i change the name of a dimension after assigning them to another dimension, the visual link is not syncronized.
YAlibre_Euqation_bug.gif ou can see it in the Video:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
By all means discuss potential enhancements here (or possible bugs) - but submit a support ticket to make sure they get captured.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I can confirm this is a bug. Updates if manually changes (like adding +1 to it) but not to automatic name changes. Please report it to support.