What's new

Dimple across a bend

JayKyle

Dimple across a bend

Does anyone know how to create a dimple across a bend. Let's say I have a sheetmetal tab with a flange at a 20 degree bend. I would like to put an enlongated dimple across the bend to strengthen it.

any ideas on how to do this?

Jay

cherkey

OK, I was going to try an Unbend, Inserting a dimple and Rebending, but the dimple would not work across the Unfolded edge....
Still thinking on it...I don't think it's possible tho... :?
Chris

Dimples

Before the work-around gurus chime in…
I don't know why such a COMMON sheet metal feature cannot be produced in AD!
In the past I had tried to produce a corner-rib feature, but had to settle for a cutout labeled “Rib” to represent that forming feature.
In addition, why doesn’t the dimple feature act like a “bend”?
In the case where you can remove material from the bottom of the dimple, this simulates a “Hole Flange”, so why doesn’t it unbend to a pierced hole (cutout)?
Also, you cannot change the wall thickness of hole flange.
Oh I forgot, I did use the word simulate to describe what AD is doing.

rbrian

Sheet Metal v1.0 issues (Dimples on bends)

Well - I think - the sheet metal portion is stil what came with AD V6.0 (SM v1.0) But it is due for an upgrade soon. I hear the Co. has good things in the works for it too, but had to get some other issues out as a higher priority first for V8.0.

Like my request for mirroing flanges should be simple, as it is a common condition in SM parts I figure, and dimples on corners of bends for strenth is too! Robert.