What's new

Display jumps (jerky) when using Space Navigator

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
It used to be when I would use the Space Navigator to roll, pan, twist, zoom, etc. the display would smoothly respond. Now when using the Space Navigator the display jump in increments. It is no longer a continuous gliding motion.

Using the regular mouse, when holding the left and right buttons, the display can be smoothly rotated. Holding the middle roller/button will let me smoothly drag the object around the screen.

This all happens regardless of model size or complexity. I should also point out I've been putting up with this for quite a while thinking that I didn't have something set correctly, besides having little time to sort it out.

Something has changed, and I think it's Alibre. I loaded an old Space Navigator driver, 3DxWare64_v10-3-0_r2161, that had been working smoothly and still saw the jumpy problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I did have to update my Space Nav drivers to get it to play nicely, I'm running 10.5.6. You could try my settings file (for Alibre) to see if it helps...

I had to zip it because .3dxz extension isn't allowed for upload.

Attachments

• alibre.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 5

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
I did have to update my Space Nav drivers to get it to play nicely, I'm running 10.5.6. You could try my settings file (for Alibre) to see if it helps...

I had to zip it because .3dxz extension isn't allowed for upload.
Where did you find the .3dxz file? I've done a search and can't find and can't find it in the newer driver I'm running, 10.5.10.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you open the Properties and click on More>About you can check for updates. Hmmm, looks like I'm due an update myself.
3d mouse update.png

Another thing you may want to do is to run the Calibrate utility.

3d mouse calibrate.png

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
"I'm due an update myself."
You may want to hold off on that update.

Thanks Harold, but I've done these things already.
I've seen other posts on the 3dConnexion forum from users who have the same problem. So maybe I'll post over there.

But no one here is seeing this problem then? If you're not, please share your 3dConnexion driver revision.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You may want to hold off on that update.
Is there an issue with the update that I'm not aware of? I haven't had any issues with the updates in Alibre that I recall. At my work we've had issues with the updates in SolidWorks, but that's another issue.

please share your 3dConnexion driver revision.
As shown in the screen shot I posted I'm at 10.5.8 and it seems to be just fine. I do need to Calibrate once in a while because the display starts to randomly drift off to the side, top or bottom.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Where did you find the .3dxz file? I've done a search and can't find and can't find it in the newer driver I'm running, 10.5.10.

I created it from the export settings option (accessed from 'more' in bottom right of 3Dconnexion window). I made sure Alibre was open - I unchecked 'all' and checked Alibre Design to save only the setting for that.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the feed back Harold.

DavidJ: Thanks I did find that and imported your settings, but still see the same problem.

I've changed my mind now, I'm leaning toward the 3dConnexion hardware/software is the issue.

I think what I'll do is go over to 3Dconnexion's forum and post there. I've seen several suggestions in their posts:
  • Check that the driver and the application are running with the same user privileges
  • calibrate
  • try 3dconnexion viewer
  • turn perspective off
Thanks again guys.

Last edited: