What's new

DO NOT LOAD XPRESS IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER VERSION INSTALLED!

jemmej

DO NOT LOAD XPRESS IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER VERSION INSTALLED!

Um...I need you to put back my Alibre Pro 8.2 SP1 please...I was going to d/l xpress here at work on their broadband connection, burn a CD and take it home and load it on my home computer since it only has dial-up....except, that it just reset all of my keys to Alibre Xpress. Please help!

Thanks.

Jim

P.S. All you have to do to overwrite your license keys is to click on the "Get Free CAD" button. I had Alibre open, and then it said my account was disabled. I closed it, reopened it and the license keys regenerated to the xpress ones. Perhaps an extra step is needed before installing the license keys but after it checks to see if you already have the Alibre client installed (which is presumably what it did while "processing..."

jemmej

I tried reentering a differnt license-key, but as soon as I run the AD client it "upgrades" to Xpress. Seems like a bug maybe in what license key would have the highest priority?

Jim

jemmej

Ok....please don't do this like I did :)

If this happens to you, you need to call Alibre and get your account fixed, then uninstall/reinstall.

Just a friendly FYI!!

Jim

gregmilliken

Customers Installing Xpress

Jim,

It does appear there is a problem with this. We will get your account updated ASAP, if it has not been already.

The system is suposed to disallow a customer to change their status to Spress, but the account conversion happened in a few cases, and yours was unfortunately one. If you register with your the same email address associated with a customer account, the system should it and then tell you to register with a new email address to get Xpress.

Sorry about the inconvenience, but in the meantime, one way to ensure this does not occur is to register with another email address.

We should have the system updated to handle this correctly soon.

Regards,
Greg

jemmej

Greg,

Thanks! It appears to be a little more involved than uninstall/reinstall, but maybe it just didn't work the first time. I forgot that I originally registered via my work e-mail :/

As usual, tech support has been great! We're working through the issues right now. I hope the launch goes well and glad I can be a beta tester for the installer ;)

Jim

P.S. They "fixed" my account to Expert instead of Pro, can I keep it? ;)

jemmej

Whew! After much work...we are back in business. Thanks to Alibre's stellar customer support!

Jim

alexy

Re: Customers Installing Xpress

gregmilliken said:
Jim,

It does appear there is a problem with this. We will get your account updated ASAP, if it has not been already.

The system is suposed to disallow a customer to change their status to Spress, but the account conversion happened in a few cases, and yours was unfortunately one. If you register with your the same email address associated with a customer account, the system should it and then tell you to register with a new email address to get Xpress.

Sorry about the inconvenience, but in the meantime, one way to ensure this does not occur is to register with another email address.

We should have the system updated to handle this correctly soon.

Regards,
Greg

Greg, aparantly still not fixed, at least with respect to tiral licenses of 8.2. I was about 2 weeks into my 30-day trial, and after replying to the Xpress email, it says my 8.2 license is invalid. No big deal for me, since I was just getting that to learn the program before xpress came out. But do you really want to be bumping down those who are trying AD as apotential buyer?

danbrinkman89

Express Download

I also learned the hard way. After installing express it asked to uninstall old version (7.0), which I did, thinking I could just download and install the old version again. Well I uninstalled old and installed Express. After installing Express there wasn't a repository, which concerned me and my project I have been working on for 4 months. So after lookin through Express I uninstalled it and reinstalled the old version. What a probelm., it didn't work the 1st time or 2, 3, or 4, but the 5th try it worked and I could once again use my old version( I think I actually restarted the computer the last time). So NO you cannot use Express and your current version on 1 machine. Express seems to me to be a great deal for people who are just strating or do single parts, but is not a replacement to the current paid version.

Did anyone notice that when you signed up for the license that ALIBRE DESIGN was not an option for "Current CAD Software"?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I was hoping to download my copy of xpress and keep it to give to someone deserving. Hope I can do this without affecting my present account.

Miles

jemmej

No, you can't.

It's not a separate download.

All I did was go to the site, click "Get Free CAD" and was hosed. Now, it should warn you that you can't, but the operative words is "should".

Jim

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Thanks, Jim.

I registered for Xpress with a different email address. Can I not set up a separate account for Xpress?

Does it need to be activated within 7 days, or just downloaded?

This installing and uninstalling business is the dangerous bit.. - like take-off and landing when you fly... :)

Miles

scarr

Re: Downloading and Installing Xpress

After receiving the e-mail to download Xpress I went to the web-site and upon arriving there was informed that I was running a version of Alibre with more features than Xpress offered, and that only one version of Alibre was allowed on any one computer. I opted not to download Xpress based on that warning. I don't know if this site was the one everyone has been directed to, but the caveat was pretty clear to me. If you're running any version of Alibre, installing Xpress will overwrite the previously installed version.

Uman

Iis it safe to Xpress with a license version on board?

I have a license version of Alibre Design on my desktop computer and would like to download the Xpress version on the same computer and on a second computer at work. I do not want to use my personal license version on my day job computer.
Has the problems been resolved yet to accomplish this yet. Any special tips or tricks I should know about?

Thanks,
Jeff in Florida

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Jeff,

As far as I understand, the only limitation is that you can't have AlibreXpress installed in the same machine as any othe version of Alibre.