What's new

drawing a table leg that is hexagon, with flat facets, how does one approach this? leg 36" tall x 2" thick

danwrnr11

I am attempting to drawing this hexagonal leg and would like some input as to how to start. Should I draw details of of 1 of six sides and do an array or ??????

Attachments

• hex_leg.PNG
    hex_leg.PNG
    51.4 KB · Views: 38

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Like you mentioned: it could be done by making one wedge as an extrude, then cut leaving just a wedge, and then array it.
Perhaps it could be done by a single difficult loft. Or sections of lofts and revolved features where/if things are round. Instead of lofts you might be able to make this using extrudes with draft angle applied and stacked one on top of the next.

danwrnr11

Like you mentioned: it could be done by making one wedge as an extrude, then cut leaving just a wedge, and then array it.
Perhaps it could be done by a single difficult loft. Or sections of lofts and revolved features where/if things are round. Instead of lofts you might be able to make this using extrudes with draft angle applied and stacked one on top of the next.
I have made an attempt @ your suggestion. I am uploading a preliminary attempt can you experiment with it and give feedback?

Attachments

• hal_hex (3).AD_PRT
    253 KB · Views: 10

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It doesn't make sense to create an assembly of segments if the leg is only 2 inches across. Sketch a hexagon that is 2 inches across then extrude it to 36 inches. Then sketch on a plane that crosses the axis of the leg and create a Revolve Cut to give it the shape you want. You can insert the image you attached to you OP and trace that for the details of the leg.

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Who mentioned an assembly?

After some testing I found the circular array didn't like trying to array the left over material of the wedge. It was better to start with a hex shaped extrusion and extrude cut one side of it and do a circular array (feature in the part) of that cut. I have attached an example, but I think I have a newer version than you do - so you may not be able to open it. Maybe the screenshot will help.
1665462265398.png
It is hard to tell in the photo if some of those areas are revolve cut or if the entire thing has 6 sides. I opted to make it six sided in my example.

Attachments

• LEG.AD_PRT
    452.5 KB · Views: 3

danwrnr11

Who mentioned an assembly?

After some testing I found the circular array didn't like trying to array the left over material of the wedge. It was better to start with a hex shaped extrusion and extrude cut one side of it and do a circular array (feature in the part) of that cut. I have attached an example, but I think I have a newer version than you do - so you may not be able to open it. Maybe the screenshot will help.
View attachment 37412
It is hard to tell in the photo if some of those areas are revolve cut or if the entire thing has 6 sides. I opted to make it six sided in my example.
Thank you that was Steller it works great

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I played around with it, using lofts and revolves..

The hard part was going back and forth between the pic above and my Alibre model, to get them to look similar. I suck at art. I need dimensions.

1665463903228.png