What's new

Drawing Dimension Problem

Jake_Steidy

Hello all,

Doing details of Sheet Metal Parts. Dimensioning channels or angles end views, so you see the profile of the angle. When I select some dimensions they incorrectly select the inside or outside thickness instead of the opposite. I click the end of a leg, then go to the OD of the other leg and hover over, showing an OD selection, click, ID selection. Just began happening after I updated. Who else is seeing this bug?

Best,
Jake

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Can you upload a sample file (package) or at least a screen shot of the drawing detail view that is exhibiting this issue?

idslk

Alibre Super User
I've tested it here, works completely ok.
Try to come from the outside to highlight the outerline.
In the video can be seen that you come from the inside and then the outer line is highlited for a moment and just before you click, your cursor slides own a little bit and the inner line is higlighted.
Help should also a greater zoom level.

Regards
Stefan

Jake_Steidy

That isn't the case though, I have just tested at a normal zoom for dimensioning and I physically lift the mouse off of my pad so there is no movement while the top line is highlighted, click, and I still get the bottom ID line. That doesn't make sense in the regards to I am shifting my mouse downwards.

2nd test, used my track pad, there is no mouse shifting when I am simply clicking the left mouse button on the trackpad, highlighting the OD line, and still getting the incorrect ID click.

Best,
Jake

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Jake,

I also have no problems like Stefan and Harold.
We probably use a real mouse, not a trackpad, unlike you.

Maybe you can use a mouse and double-check/adjust your setting: Snapping

Snap.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have just tested at a normal zoom for dimensioning
What do you consider normal zoom for dimensioning? I hardly ever leave my drawing at a set zoom level when dimensioning. As I pointed out in my video zooming in does help make a more positive selection. I am using a Space Mouse so panning and zooming is pretty quick on my system.
As point of reference, my snap setting is set to 1.0.

Jake_Steidy

Hi Ralf,
I use a real mouse, MX Master 2S, that's why in my post I said, " I physically lift the mouse off of my pad," so this is occurring with a mouse, and then on my edit, since I am using a laptop, I am able to use my trackpad to test.

My snap setting is set to 3.0 mm. Normal zoom is zooming in slightly for each individual orientation of a part, I am zooming somewhat but nothing extreme.

As a point of reference, this never occurred on Monday when I was still running the prior version of Alibre, maybe it was even a prior version of v24 or V23 as I had two updates available.

Best,
Jake

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Try reducing the snap setting if it's too easy to pick the wrong edge. Alternatively zoom in closer when selecting.

Snapping for dimension tool was only added with v25.

Jake_Steidy

Can I turn off the snapping for the dimension tool? I preferred how dimensioning was prior to V25.

I like how the snap setting is for everything else, just not dimensioning when I am doing numerous metal parts that have thin thicknesses.

Jake

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The same snap setting is used throughout.

Maybe try approaching definitely from one side of the part, or just zoom in more.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Another option would be:

Legacy-.png

After a restart, the Snap option is no longer available:

Snap-no.jpg

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Can I turn off the snapping for the dimension tool? I preferred how dimensioning was prior to V25.

I like how the snap setting is for everything else, just not dimensioning when I am doing numerous metal parts that have thin thicknesses.

Jake
Jake,

Please take a look, I have send another option: Using the legacy display option.
Possibly you can also use the value 1, as recommended by Harold.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Simon, this is a real existing option in AD V25, if you like it or not.
... but suggesting using it in this instance is like suggesting you cut of one of your legs to prevent you stubbing a toe!

It has been publicly posted on here numerous times (by Max and others) that legacy mode will not be around much longer. So, suggesting a better workflow or usage of the product is better than suggesting a time limited option which in itself is so feature regressive.

Zooming in further or reducing the snap distance (or an enhancement suggestion to Alibre dev that dimension snapping really needs it's own snap sensitivity setting) are the best overall options for the user.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Well, my "zoom" is on the middle mouse wheel...and as far as i'm zooming for a lot of things (maybe a few hundred times each session...), it does not touch me badly to zoom for dimensioning also...
only as a thought...

Regards
Stefan