What's new

Drawing Dimension Problem

Jake_Steidy

The point is I didn't have a problem with dimensioning 2 days ago, now I have a problem. I don't need a snapping feature on dimensions when I can click accurately on the line I want selected, ONLY TO HAVE THE INCORRECT LINE SELECTED. This isn't because something I am doing, this is because something Alibre is doing.

I am not going to Legacy mode, which will not be around and also lose me features.

I zoom in and out of my drawings lots, Its bound to mouse wheel, I don't think I should be zooming into drawings to the point that I can't see the other end of my Dimension leader. Again this was NOT a problem 2 days ago, now it is.

Approaching the Line from the different side doesn't work either, it still snaps to the incorrect line so that isn't a solution.

Why does Alibre even highlight the line I want to select in red if it's going to snap to a different line!?!

Easy solution, remove snapping from dimensions.

Jake

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Jake,

What hardware are you using,
especially which graphics card and which monitor resolution?

Alibre Home -> Utilities -> System Options -> Display?

Which Alibre version did you use "2 days" ago?

Here are some infos about the Legacy Display Option, please take a look:

Use Legacy Display​

Legacy Display mode uses the display engine that was in Alibre products before the 2019.0 release. Legacy Display mode uses DirectX. 9.

You might want to enable Use Legacy Display mode for the following reasons:

• You have a graphics card that does not support DirectX 11, which the new display engine uses.
  • You have an older graphics card that has unacceptable performance using the new display pipeline.
  • You use an add-on that does not have compatibility with the new display pipeline.
  • You would like access to the legacy 2D PDF generation engine.

The downside of using Legacy Display​

• Some features in 2019.0 and later require the new display mode to be in effect. Examples include Antialiasing, Ground Shadows, real-time section views, real-time line widths in 2D drawings, and others. Many of these features could be considered cosmetic, however, over time more and more features will be released that utilize the new pipeline.

Antialiasing​

Antialiasing is a display technology that makes lines, text, and other objects appear smooth and pleasing to the eye. Antialiasing can be enabled for 2D workspaces, 3D workspaces, or both. Most users will want to have antialiasing enabled. You might disable antialiasing if:

• You prefer the visual appearance of non-antialiased figures and text.
  • You have a monitor resolution/size/Windows Scale. Factor combination that makes antialiasing look unacceptably blurry on your display.
  • You have an older graphics card with trouble displaying antialiased images at a high frame rate, causing input lag.

Last edited:

Jake_Steidy

Hey Ralf,

I don't think I need to use legacy as I never had a performance issue prior, I was running some version of v24, not the most current v24 update as I had a v24 and v25 update on Tuesday morning when I updated.

As for hardware I am using a GTX 1050 Ti, display resolution 3840 x 2160. Again haven't had this problem in 3 years of Alibre use with dimensioning and it incorrectly selecting a line after it is highlighted RED, I've just had problems since v25 which was two days ago on Tuesday.

My card supports DX11

Best,
Jake

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Jake,

Please check, if your GTX 1050 Ti is used with AD V25:
Alibre Home -> Utilities -> System Options -> Display

I am not asking without reason.

Also, please check, the Windows display scaling settings.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Jake.

Might you should also check these 2 different system options:

1657826529087.png

don't know which value will be suitable for you, maybe you can test it...

Regards
Stefan

Jake_Steidy

Hey Ralf and Stefan,

I am using my 1050 with Alibre, as my onboard GPU is much wimpier and not suitable for large projects. If I have time today I will test the legacy features, but I don't know why it needs to be tested. As it worked 3 days ago on v24, and this feature was added with v25 so I feel it is going to be known what I will already experience with Legacy, I won't have the snapping error, as it was working fine previously.

Stefan I will test different snapping values, but that still will create a problem at different zoom levels and material thicknesses, as the lines are closer with further zooms or thinner thicknesses.

A simple checkbox that says enable snapping in both those windows would solve my problem completely as I would uncheck the box for drawings and leave it checked for parts/assembly.

Best,
Jake

idslk

Alibre Super User
I would uncheck the box for drawings and leave it checked for parts/assembly.

if you set the value in the box on the left side of my picture to 0, snapping in drawing should be "dissabeled"
If you let eg. 3mm in the box of the right side of the picture, you will have a "normal" snap in sketches.
So no "checkbox" but similar effect.

Regards
Stefan