What's new

Drawing workspace reference lines for dimensions

Stuart

I'm trying to add an angular dimension in a drawing for a cut. I can't find a way to add an angle that is perpendicular or 90-X degrees from the remaining surface. When cutting the material, it would be much more useful to have the angle to cut off rather than the remaining angle after the cut.

Is there a way to use reference lines or axis from the part/assembly in the drawing?

In this example, I'd like the 32.2 degree dimension of the material cut off.

upload_2019-4-30_13-24-55.png

Stuart -- (1) You need an Invisible Layer in your Layer Line Type definition set. (2) You can Sketch a sort line that will establish your Base Angle. (3) After you have the desired Angular Dimension, change your Base Angle Line to your "Invisible Line Layer." n Somewhat of a pain, but it works.

Stuart

Thanks Lew, That does work, but yes, it's a pain.

P.S. Thanks for your steel tubing library :)

Stuart

No, I don't see that one. Could you point me to it?

Are you referring to the Angle and Channel libraries? Then, yes, I have those too.

Last edited:

Are you referring to the Angle and Channel libraries? Then, yes, I have those too.
If you search for AISC and/or Aluminum Association "Resources" they should (just about) leap out and bite you.

According yo my records, they are: AISC Angle Library -- Rev New, AISC Channel Library -- Rev A, AISC S-Flange Library -- Rev New, and AISC W-Flange Library -- Rev A. Hopefully this will aid you.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Here are some scripts to create lengths in assemblies for metric sizes used in Australia. You can alter the data tables to produce any sizes you like.

Attachments

• Equal Angle lengths in assembly.py
    3.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FlatBar in assembly.py
    780 bytes · Views: 0
  • PFC lengths in assembly.py
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RHS lengths in assembly.py
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SHS lengths in assembly.py
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • UnEqual Angle lengths in assembly.py