What's new

Drawings: Ordinate dimensions

OrjanB

Hi all,

In drawings I want to make ordinate dimensions.
Sometimes these dimesions are shown as i.e D1=1223, sometimes the value only.
I always want the value only shown, no letter D.

It seems to me that if I during dimensioning connect to a line made by activate sketch in view it shows with D=.
If the dimensioning is connected to a point from the original part it shows the value I want.
There has to be a setting for this (?).
As said, I always want value only.

I also want to be able to set start (zero) to i.e. 2 decimals when the rest of the values is 2 decimals.

Illustration enclosed.

Regards
Orjan

1660826492878.png

Last edited:

BigKahunaFL

Thank you - did not find this setting.

What about the second question: Decimals for the zero-value?

Ragards
Orjan
Right-mouse-button click on the dimension you want to change (.000 in your case) and select the "Properties" option at the bottom of the pop-up menu.

Select the "Override Style" check-box, the select the desired decimal place option from the drop-down box. HTH

2022-08-18_10-00-19.jpg

OrjanB

It is where stated - see image
I found it from your first description - sorry for being unclear in my answer.
But anyway, thank you again - i suppose your detaled instruction is of interest for others.
Orjan

OrjanB

Right-mouse-button click on the dimension you want to change (.000 in your case) and select the "Properties" option at the bottom of the pop-up menu.

Select the "Override Style" check-box, the select the desired decimal place option from the drop-down box. HTH
For standard dimensioning I do as you describe all the time, but in this case (zero in ordinate dim.) it dit not work. Did you test the zero-value for ordinate dim.?
I am not at the computer at the moment, but will test again tomorrow.
Orjan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I just tested on my computer and overriding the dim style to change starting dimension to zero decimal places worked okay.

One thing that Ordinate dimensions needs is a way to move the jog to a location other that its default without relocating the dimension text The only way now is to move the entire group of dimensions and that is not a good solution.

Last edited:

OrjanB

I just tested on my computer and overriding the dim style to change to zero decimal places worked okay.
I was unclear (again).
The dimension-values can have any number of decimals. No problem.
I meant the starting value: 0 (zero).
If the measured values have i.e 3 decimals, I would like the starting value also to have 3 decimals: 0,000
Perhaps not important, but looks better on the drawing.
Orjan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I should have noted that I changed the starting dimension to zero decimal places. I edited my post to note that.

What ever your drawing standards call for but having decimal places on a dimension implies a tolerance. How do you have a two place tolerance on the base line of the the dim stack? Just seems odd to me.

Working with ASME Y14.5M standards I always changed the ordinate origin dim to zero places. But there were some at my work that didn't because "it takes too long to edit the dimensions". Oh well...

1660851953790.png