What's new

Dual Screen question

blaplant1

Dual Screen question

1.What are the advantages of having a dual screen set-up?

2. How does one switch between screeens?

3. Are these advantages worth the extra cost?

Thanks
Bruce

k5man

Bruce,

I run dual monitors at work and at home and have done so for about 12 years. To answer your questions:

1.) Advantage is more space. For multiple application windows and in some cases, multiple views of a design. For AD there are few advantages but I also use MicroStation which has two application windows so I can fill both screens with different views of my design.

Even when I'm not using MicroStation, I can leave my e-mail up on one screen and work on the other. Or I can have AD on one screen and Excel and e-mail on the other. Alt-Tabbing between applications is history for me.

2.) There is no switching between screens. As fas as Windows is concerned it's all on BIG, happy desktop. Mouse moves seamlessly from one monitor to the other and back again. You can also drag application windows between the two monitors with no problem.

3.) To me, it is definatley worth the cost. However, the cost is nearly negligible today. Almost all ATI cards are dual monitor capable and the cost of a 17" or 19" CRT is less than $200!!!!

Karl

mrgadget

Hi Bruce,

My standard mode of operation is to build from within an assembly window and edit the individual parts on the other screen using the "shift+Edit" method. (*hint* At least I used to do it this way *Alibre*) The dual screens allow me great flexibility to observe changes and relationships real time, and take measurements without having to "alt+tab". I personally cannot remember how I ever got along without multiple monitors.

blaplant1

Thanks for the replies. My card will handle 2 monitors,I' give it a try.
Is there anything special to do to set-up AD for dual screen?
Bruce

k5man

Bruce,

To my knowledge, AD does not take any advantage of dual screens. The best benefit you can hope to gain to to have an area to have other application windows visible while working in AD. You can also drag AD's dialog boxes off your design and onto the other screen so you can see both at once.

I have asked the AD developers for some added dual screen functionality. Time will tell if we get it or not. :?

k5man

Bruce,

To my knowledge, AD does not take any advantage of dual screens. The best benefit you can hope to gain to to have an area to have other application windows visible while working in AD. You can also drag AD's dialog boxes off your design and onto the other screen so you can see both at once.

I have asked the AD developers for some added dual screen functionality. Time will tell if we get it or not. :?