What's new

DXF export

Lukin

Hello, everyone,

because I am not a computer programmer but rather a mechanical engineer, I turn to the more knowledgeable people of this issue. My question is:

Is it now possible to create a script that can create a DXF file of a unfolded shape of a sheet metal part (or even a normal part - for example a flange, a strip)? Something similar to what Alibre Design Expert has shown in the example export scripts for STEP, STL etc.

I'm now using AHK (I've also used a template script here from the forum - many thanks to the author and commenters), but it's not always completely reliable for me. Function is random (for example, 10 times it works great and 3 times it doesn't work as expected). The problem is when I run the script again without modifying it, if it didn't work 2 times before it works the third time (even for the exact same component). I've tried extending pauses, using different precision click functions, but I never achieved the function completely without problems. Although I always still check the files but sometimes it is really time consuming (with a large number of files) and exhausting. And mostly I'm frustrated with the random reliability.

I would like it if this ran directly in Alibre. I think it would be more reliable as well.

The condition is that it has to work on sheet metal parts as well. The export doesn't have to be in a group like Alibre has in the example scripts, but can easily be one part at a time that is currently open.

Is this realistic according to you more experienced in programming? Should I try to do it somehow, or is it more of a waste of time now in your opinion?

However, I'm afraid that even if this solution is realistic, it would be very time consuming for a non-computer programmer.

Thank you very much for any answer.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I wrote the original AHK script for that because I tried (multiple ways) to get it to work in Alibre Script and couldn't. Maybe someday I'll revisit it and try see what's causing other people problems but I don't have time now.

Cator

Hi
yes I also use Nate's script and sometimes it fails especially if it is used on different computers. Often it happens that there are processes in the background maybe related to open web pages or a small delay of Alibre calculation and the process happens the wrong way.
In Alibre Script unfortunately there is no command for exporting a sketch to dxf and if there was it would be difficult to make it work in the sheet metal environment because that environment does not support or at any rate supports in a very small part the use of Alibre scripts.
I share with you the need to have a key with which to simply extract dxf which are very useful in small realities for the realization of parts created in 3d and that must communicate with production.