What's new

Dynamic Design Library - Directory

Mika

Hey.

I havent yet updated my Alibre to V22, but I am intrested about it because of this new dynamic design library.

https://www.alibre.com/version22/

I just did not understand from that video, where is it saving those libraries? Somewhere under C:/program files/Alibre? Or can I point that folder by myself?

Can I put it on OneDrive and use the same library on the road with my laptop and also on my home desktop computer? I mean same library always on two computers, no any needs to export/import those libraries?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Currently the information is held (for a standard installation)

Template parts in C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\Database Parts (and its sub folders)
Database files in C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design

There is no option given to re-direct these locations. I don't know the intended roadmap for further development of this capability - I suspect to some extent that will depend upon what customers request.

Mika

Or can I just sync this one folder C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\Database Parts? Can be sure that nothing will be lost?

Hunter

Yeah, but I do not want to store any valuable data in C: drive. What if windows decides to crash and I need to "format C:" the whole computer? I will lose my whole library.
No, it won't be lost, that's the whole point of synching it to OneDrive (or Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, whatever service you use), because you'll have a copy in the cloud.

Hunter

Or can I just sync this one folder C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\Database Parts? Can be sure that nothing will be lost?
As long as Microsoft (OneDrive) doesn't screw up, and you sync regularly (it is automated in any case), it won't be lost.

Mika

How can my another computer Alibre use that onedrive design library folder? Laptop have different C: folder than desktop.

Mika

So then that below folder will be using the same data in both computers?

C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\Database Parts

Hunter

So then that below folder will be using the same data in both computers?

C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\Database Parts
Yes, but first set it up on one PC, then share that with the other PC (via a link) so that it can sync on that PC too. You'll have to fiddle a bit, but it should work.

Mika

Hopefully there is coming some tool from Alibre to make this more easy. Just giving the folder paths on system properties where those template folders are.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You need BOTH the templates and the Database files for the dynamic part library to work. The templates alone is not enough.

Bumping... I'm giving dynamic libraries a try, finally. It's exactly what I need for a bunch of stuff. However, I have the same concern. I have part libraries organized 'my way' on a different drive, using a drive map to find them. I have libraries of parts defined for mechanical CAD, Electrical, Software, etc. Everything is located in a dropbox folder as well, allowing access from different location, and whichever computer I happen to be using. I'm loath to use a new tool within Alibre (or anything else) that forces me to keep track of something outside of the structures I've already established.

So I'll make the request; PLEASE allow us to specify the locations where the template and database files are located!

Last edited: