What's new

Editing text on solid (converted from mesh)

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
The attached file is part that was imported as an STL mesh and then converted to solid so that I could add some engraved text to it for 3D printing. I'm having problems editing the text so that can change the text or attributes. I select the Sketch that the comprises the text, RMB and select "Edit". That lets me move the sketch around on its plane but there doesn't seem to be a to actually change the text, font, or other attributes. I could swear that I could edit the text once, but can't seem to find the secret to doing so again. Am I missing something obvious or does GMD 16 have problems with text on parts made from meshes that are converted to solids?

Mike

PS: For some reason the forum is not allowing me to upload a GMD file right now. I'll try to attach it again later.
PPS: Looks like there is a 2MB file size limit here? My part file is 22+MB and the Zip is 6 MB.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Mike,
Try rolling your part back to the first feature by moving the Dog Bone to the top of the Design Explorer then Save and check the file size. That may get the file size down below the 2mb limit for uploading.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
When you're in 'edit sketch' mode you need to right-click on the text itself and select edit. This will call up the dialogue to change the font and wording.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
When you're in 'edit sketch' mode you need to right-click on the text itself and select edit. This will call up the dialogue to change the font and wording.

I'm pretty sure I tried that but will try again tonight after work. Text on a part made from scratch with GMD edits with no problem, so if that idea doesn't work it could be there is an issue with editing text on mesh files that have been converted to solid.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
HaroldL said:
Mike,
Try rolling your part back to the first feature by moving the Dog Bone to the top of the Design Explorer then Save and check the file size. That may get the file size down below the 2mb limit for uploading.

I'll try that tonight. The STL part is very simple - just a 1.5-in OD lid about 0.5-in tall with internal threads, so it's hard to see why that should need 22 MB of file space. Maybe the import settings for the original STL need to be fiddled with.

Mike