What's new

Excel Add-in problem

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've previously successfully used Excel add-in on this computer. Now the tool doesn't show up on Add-ins bar.

When I check the Add-ins settings (Excel 2013 on Windows 10), the Geomagic Parameters add-in is listed as Inactive. No matter how many times I tick the box it does not stick, so I can't use the add in.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the add in. No change.

Any suggestions to fix this ? I suspect it's an Excel issue, but can't be sure.

Attachments

• Excel add-in issue.jpg
    Excel add-in issue.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 35

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Further information. I can force the add-in to work correctly just for the current session by also adding the OLD Excel add-in (used in earlier version of Excel) - activating this brings up the Add-ins tab on the ribbon for as long as I leave Excel open. I can then use the add-in, but the tab vanishes again if I close Excel and re-open.

So this looks like an Excel issue - maybe brought on by a Microsoft update ? as I have same behaviour on both computers....

As an experiment I also tried installing the add-in downloaded from GD downloads page - will not install, because publisher cannot be verified !

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Further to above - the 'works for one session' behaviour above appears to be the old xla add-in (which isn't designed for use with versions later than Office 2010).

So something appears to be stopping the new style add-in from running. Another user has confirmed similar issues to me.

I wonder is anyone out there successfully using the Excel 2010+ add in ? (ideally the 32bit add-in with 32bit Office 2013 or later, under Win10 64).

[EDIT - should have mentioned earlier, I'm running v2015.1.1]

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi David,

We have the same problem here:
Clean / New - Win 10 - 64 bit
Alibre Design V2015.1.1 (V18) - 64 bit
Office / Excel 2013 - 32 bit

Trying to install the setup.exe as admin:
C:\Program Files\3D Systems\Geomagic Design\Excel2010+\32Bit
Nothing

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Support has now confirmed the add-in doesn't work on 'newer' operating systems.

a.ash

First post here :D

I am having the same problem running windows 7 and Office 2016. So is this an Windows version problem or Office version problem?

Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 15,0,2,15088 ] 64-bit

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not aware of any issues on Win7. That doesn't rule out a problem with Excel 2016, or with the security certificate of the add-in.

Make sure you have the version of the add-in installer (32 or 64 bit) to match the installation of Office (not necessarily the same as your operating system).

If still problematic, report to support (it'll only get fixed if enough people complain).

Sturmer

Is there any chance to fix this?

I have just returned to Alibre and i love the feature of making part families in the excel.
It was one of the biggest selling points in my last job ...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The Excel add-in works as far as I'm aware. If you are having issues, raise a support ticket.

Sturmer

What version of Excel do you have? I have 2016 ... and the add on was not showing - after i forced the installation of the addin. Now i see it but it does nothing.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've used the add-in with Excel 2013. You may need to tweak settings in the Trust Centre in Excel to allow the add-in to run (a long time since I got the add-in to work, so I don't recall the detail). Set the location of the add-in as 'trusted'.

Make sure you are using the correct 'bitness' of add-in, to match your installed Excel. For many users that will be add-in for 32bit Excel.

There is an incompatibility with the Analysis Toolpak and the Analysis Toolpak VBA - you'll need to make sure both are disabled when using the Alibre Add-in.

Sturmer

I have disabled both of the mentioned addins. And still the same issue.
When the excel starts , the addin loads. But when i press the "Parameters" button - nothing happens...

:/

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
By 'nothing' do you mean the add-in dialogue doesn't appear ? or just that nothing else happens?

Sturmer

No dialog , and no effect ... same excell file as before... "nothing" :D

No error , no result no window no .. nothing :D

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Enabled under COM Add-ins ? Location of the add-in set to Trusted ?

Is 'Alibre Parameters Excel Add-in' showing in Apps & Features ? If you click on the entry does it show version number 1.0.0.4 ? Was that installed 'as Administrator' ?

I can't think of much else to suggest.

Sturmer

I have added the plugin folder ( the root folder of the plugin C:\Program Files\Alibre Design\Excel2010+\) to trusted location.

I have first added the 32bit folder (im using the 32bit office) and newer version of alibre 2018.2 build 19071 , and it did not work.
Now after i have added the full location of both plugins it seems to work ... will have to test the functionality.

(edit: Now it works fully!! - Really dont know why it needs the reference to the full \Excell2010+ folder and not only to the 32bit plugin folder

Last edited:

Sturmer

I can't beleve i did not use the plugin for few months - full year. But in the meantime company updated to office 365.
Now again the plugin is not working.

The trust center is configured with the folder of the plugin, the plugin shows up in the addin menu.

But i get the pesky error from the picture:

upload_2021-7-19_12-29-55.png

Any ideas what this is? As i tried to search for the *.xla files on whole C:\ partion of my PC and there is no such file ....