What's new

Exploded drawings is it possible to...

rralston

I am working on exploded drawings for instructions. I would like to insert a sheet with the assembly unexploded to apply dimensions for setup and line up for the end user.
Is it possible to accomplish this within one file? Otherwise what is the best way to do this?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Which version of Alibre do you have?
If you have configurations available you could create one for the exploded view and one for the unexploded view. Then insert a view for each config in the drawing.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Harold, you don't need to use configurations - just an unexploded view and a separate exploded view.

rralston

Today I upgraded to V25. I see what David is referring to and I think that will work. However, as soon as I add another sheet and click standard views the system is locked up and I have to end task to get out. Perhaps this is a bug with the new version, I don't know but I think the question is answered so thanks all for your quick response and help.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Today I upgraded to V25. I see what David is referring to and I think that will work. However, as soon as I add another sheet and click standard views the system is locked up and I have to end task to get out. Perhaps this is a bug with the new version, I don't know but I think the question is answered so thanks all for your quick response and help.

I tried the same thing right quick with V25to see if its a bug and it seems to be working fine for me.

Sheet 1 standard views:
1655846231869.png

Sheet 2 exploded view:

1655846269076.png

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Harold, you don't need to use configurations - just an unexploded view and a separate exploded view.
Yeah, you're right, I'm so used to using configs that I didn't even notice the exploded views option on the drawing view dialog.:oops:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Yeah, you're right, I'm so used to using configs that I didn't even notice the exploded views option on the drawing view dialog.:oops:
Configurations have the added benefit of being able to exactly position parts relative to other parts and easily edit the positions. However they don't add exploded lines.

rralston

It turns out that it is only one drawing that is locking up. It happens to be the Master assembly which is large. I'm not sure what to try to get it working but at least the other drawings work fine.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Configurations have the added benefit of being able to exactly position parts relative to other parts and easily edit the positions. However they don't add exploded lines.
In some instances I would rather be able to add my own explode lines, similar to SolidWorks, it can be a pain to add them manually but it would give better indication of what you want to illustrate. Some of the explode lines that Alibre creates don't show "through" or "behind" objects, they are all on top of existing parts and that can be messy or confusing.

Here's a small "Before" and "After" example with explode lines added on the drawing.
ALIBRE EXPLODE LINES.png

Manuall Drawn Explode Lines.png

rralston

I have another is it possible? Again, I am still working on a large exploded master assembly with many sub assemblies. I have the sub assemblies checked to "treat as part in BOM" so I have 6 assemblies in the BOM. I have used the great instructions yall have taught me in this thread to insert different views so I can apply dimensions. Now, I I need to add call out numbers to just a few parts within the assemblies to explain how to setup/adjust the machine. Is there a way to use callouts for these individual parts without getting the entire BOM list? What is the best way to accomplish this?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You could use standard BoM functions.

So create a BoM for top level assembly - manually re-order the BoM so that the items you want to pick out are at the top, then re-sequence. Link the BoM to the drawing. BoM callouts for your part to highlight will work.

You can hide rows of the BoM that you don't want to display.

If you need to access parts in the sub-assemblies, toggle Summary option on to show all parts before doing the manual re-arrangement and row hiding.