What's new

Export to CNC

beastro

Autocad 12 is THE MOST POPULAR output wanted by, or accepted by, nearly every program that wants DXF input. Makes no sense to delete it.

ODDLY, it is missing from V21, although other exports back to earlier versions are present.

OK, so this is a real problem now for me, as the manufacturer I am dealing with needs specifically AutoCad12.
Is there a way to bridge that with a third party converter?

JST

Alibre Super User
Well, there is one thing about mostCAD programs including Autocad. Later versions will open earlier files, and read them correctly.

So there is a pretty good chance that your target user of the output could open and correctly interpret a DXF that is created by a slightly earlier version. So send them an export in 2010 format, and see what happens.

Of course, there is a chance that there are features that cannot be expressed in 2010 format, but if that is not the case, it is quite possible that you can get the files transferred.

Meanwhile, Alibre REALLY needs to see how they can get 2012 format into the list. There is 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2018, but NO 2012, which is the one really wanted. Perhaps this is an ACIS issue, and can be solved only by a different Acis license. I do not know.

I DO know that 12 format is a very standard accepted DXF format, for all sorts of machinery. The fact of waterjet machines wanting it makes this very troubling, as many parts can be waterjet cut, it is a very common way of making low volume parts. In fact, I have even had sheetmetal parts waterjet cut before bending and final fabrication.

Otherwise, you may have to find an Autodesk product (even Autocad LT), import the file you can produce, and output a 2012 file.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing to do with ACIS - do you mean AutoCAD 2012, or AutoCAD 12 ?

If there is an export version that is really necessary, please raise ticket with support - make sure to get the detail correct. It might be possible to add it back to the list of options.

beastro

The machine shop got back to me and said that alternatively they might be able to use AutoCad 2000 DXF. So, I imagine that what they need is AutoCad12 which is very old of course (1992).
They also insist in giving them a dxf that is converted to Polyline format. Does Alibre export to polyline dxf? I would imagine it does, but I am not certain how to check it.
Thanks and kind regards

JST

Alibre Super User
Nothing to do with ACIS - do you mean AutoCAD 2012, or AutoCAD 12 ?

If there is an export version that is really necessary, please raise ticket with support - make sure to get the detail correct. It might be possible to add it back to the list of options.

yes, 12. Not present. I DID misread 2012 as "12", thinking in Alibre mode.

Done

Last edited: