What's new

Export to STL (V23) will only export in MM

Tom.Blackstone

Hello:

Solidworks to Aibre Atom V23 user here.

I have a simple part, drawn in inches. running Export to STL and setting dimension to EVERY available option in the export screen, the the STL will only export in MM.

I reviewed the STL in both Ultimaker CURA 4.9 and AutoCAD Meshmixer. Both show the dimensions as MM.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Attached is the part.

Attachments

• 3850 blank.AD_PRT
    339 KB · Views: 1

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Many slicers ASSUME mm so that is what you have to set export dimensions to to get the correct size. The slicers will only display mm regardless of your export settings.

Some STL viewers do seem to be able to read the units from the file, or allow you to switch units.

Tom.Blackstone

I did not have this issue when I exported a part from SolidWorks to a STL file.
When opening an exported STL created by SolidWorks, CURA opened the STL file correctly in Inches.
I've tried changing the units in the ATOM\Export window when creating the STL file. Tried every setting ... well, except MM.
And I am seeing this in more than one program. And when I bring the STL file into SolidWorks, it too is seeing the dimensions as MM's

I'm going to redesign the part and try again.

Attachments

• Solidworks Measurement.jpg
    Solidworks Measurement.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Tom.Blackstone

Well, I tried it again on a different computer and same results. Attached is the screenshots for:
STL Export settings
As seen in CURA
Dimensions from ATOM V23 screen
Property settings from ATOM V23
System Options from ATOM V23

What am I missing here?System Options.jpg Property settings.jpg Dimensions from Atom.jpg seen in CURA.jpg export settings.jpg

Tom.Blackstone

OK, I think I have this figured out. In ATOM, I can design in Inches, but when I do the EXPORT to STL, I have to choose MM's - then it is sized correctly in CURA. In this last test, I created a part 3" x 5" x 1", saved the part, then exported in units = MM, then opened the file in CURA.

Wow -
stl export.jpg cura.jpg