What's new

feature colors

drbris

I have a part that is cylindrical with one material brazed to another then ground to the same diameter.
I would like to make different thicknesses of these materials using configurations and be able to see the layers in different colors.
Ex part 1-would be 1/2 inch long material A(blue) 1/8 material B(red), Part 2 5/8 Material A(Blue) 3/32 Material B(red) .
The only way I see to do this is to make assemblies of every size
Any ideas?

Attachments

• assembly w colors.JPG
    assembly w colors.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 8
  • diamond 1_PRT.AD_PRT
    351.5 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I would like to make different thicknesses of these materials using configurations and be able to see the layers in different colors.

Since you mentioned configurations then you must have Alibre Design Expert. That seems like a good work flow for your design.
I would create a configuration in each part for the various lengths and colors, then in the Assembly create a configuration for each part-size combination and activate the desired part config for each assy config.

drbris

Thanks Harold,
The problem is I am trying to get the parts to look like the assembly I made (jpg) - but don't want to make dozens of assemblies, would rather make one part with dozens of configs by changing the distance of plane 4 and extrusion B
If you look closely at the part I sent the file of I can only make the end face red the rest of the Material B (face diameter) take on the part color- if I try to make the face and diameter of extrusion B red it makes the diameter face of Extrusion A red also.

drbris

If I make the diameter of extrusion B .0001 smaller the face color doesn't propagate from extrusion a

Attachments

• diamond 1_PRT.AD_PRT
    378.5 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It looks like you've found a solution to a one piece assembly. You could also use a Thin Extrude Cut to slice through the model, then use Face Color to color the parts as needed.
My suggestion wouldn't need multiple assemblies - only one assembly configured for the various lengths of each part. Each part would be configured for its various lengths.

Here's a sample package. I used the length values that you had in your first post and added a third for variation.

Attachments

• Dual Material Assy.AD_PKG
    109.7 KB · Views: 4

drbris

Thanks Harold,
I like your solution better than mine because when mine gets exported the color goes away whereas with your solution it still goes away but the color can be reassigned in the receiving Cad/cam

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What format are your exporting the model? If you are using STEP then selecting STEP 214 or 242 should retain the colors upon import.
I just did a round trip with it on my system using STEP 242 and the import retained the original colors.