What's new

FEM Designer shear interactions

JimB72

HIi
I am just starting with FEMdesigner and am having difficulty with applying interactions between two parts in an assembly to transfer loads in shear across the interaction. The tutorial works well for compression stresses. I have a simply supported beam with a shorter beam resting on it and a pressure applied to a small area on the top beam. I was expecting to have tensile and compressive stresses in the supporting beam but the stress and displacement plots do not show anything in the supporting beam, only the top beam. I have played around with interactions between the beams but there is obviously something I do not understand here. Can somebody point me in a productive direction please.
Jim

Attachments

• CompositeBeam.jpg
    CompositeBeam.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 18
  • CompositeBeam2.jpg
    CompositeBeam2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 18
  • CompositeBeam.AD_PKG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Simple.txt
    448 bytes · Views: 4

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi JimB72. The flow of stress is like a river. When the section is narrow the flow will be more intense and the stress will be higher. So I recommend to do a Assemble Boolean and do the simulation as only one part or do the simulation in a singles parts with different vector force direction. I hope this help.
GIOV

JimB72

Thanks Giov
I will build the assembly up as a boolean part. This will allow me to do the initial stress analysis. I would really like to be able to use an assembly as I need to completely rebuild the Boolean part if I want to change anything as a result of the analysis. This will take about 3 hours which can be reduced by saving copies of intermediate stages so I don't have to go back to the very first part each time. If the assembly can work, I would only need to change one part and its connections. The assembly has 50 parts and a lot of constraints. It will be interesting to see how long the analysis takes, possibly longer than a big cup of coffee.
Jim