What's new

FEM Designer

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
By 'non-linear' do you mean Large displacements (geometric non-linearity) , or are you looking for non-linear materials (e.g. Elastic-Plastic) ? If I could ever have got FEMDesigner to work, I would happily have paid for the Elastic-Plastic capability.

David -- In essence, FEMDesigner is a Tensile Modulus based analysis that has the "capability" og applying Tangent or Secant Modulus values for "Post Yield processing."

There is another FEM Program that has Free version limited to 1000 nodes.
they have several analisys types
  • Linear static
  • Nonlinear static
  • Linear dynamic
  • Nonlinear dynamic
  • Modal vibration
  • Buckling
  • Thermal steady state or transient
  • DC current flow
  • Acoustic resonance

you can see the specs here ..

https://mecway.com/product.html

JL82

There is another FEM Program that has Free version limited to 1000 nodes.
they have several analisys types
  • Linear static
  • Nonlinear static
  • Linear dynamic
  • Nonlinear dynamic
  • Modal vibration
  • Buckling
  • Thermal steady state or transient
  • DC current flow
  • Acoustic resonance

you can see the specs here ..

https://mecway.com/product.html

Mecway offers a free upgrades for all exiting customers without the maintenance fee.

Other than a couple of minor issues (caused by last year's loss of a hard drive) I have FEMDesigner mostly "up and running" under
Alibre Design™ Expert Version: 2019 64-bit [Build 20065]. It requires running Allibre in "legacy mode" (not a problem for me) and I still argue for a more "rational" stress display in the viewer. [By this I meaqn that stresses lower than (sat) 85% of yield be graduated in (say) green colors whereas stresses between 85% of yield and (say) 118% of yield be graduated in (say) yellow colors whereas stresses between 118% of yield and (say) 85% of ultimate be graduated in (say) brown colors and those greater 85% of ultimate be shown in some facsimile of red.]

Update -- James has "fixed: my final "problem" such that (so long as you use the "Legacy" display setting) everything works quite well. One of the people with whom I have worked in conjunction with for more than 40 years (and who died nearly 2 years ago) was a "Senior Structural Dynamisist" for NASA for more than 50 years. He hated nearly every (canned, if you will) FEA program. He did not object to working with FEMDesigner (which, in truth, was high praise for him). I am currently suggesting "polishing" improvements to FEMDesigner that I hope to see start appearing.