What's new

filament printer

dlaery

Alibre Super User
I have a resin printer, it does good for what I got it for.
I am a little disappointed in the strength of the parts I print with it.
I would like to print some things that have more structural strength.
I havn't tried a lot of different resins yet, but what I have tried wasn't strong enough.
is there more choices of filament that would produce a harder part than resin?
I am looking for a bigger size of print and thought a filament printer might be better?
any thoughts?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Some of the gaming figure guys mix standard resin with a flex resin. This makes the prints less brittle and less likely to crack over time. Might be something worth looking into but you'd have to dig for it yourself. Can't remember where I read about it.

As far as large format printing goes then FDM is going to be way cheaper. Downside: the print can delaminate. This happens easily under stress when using something like PLA. One solution would be to use a plastic with a higher melting point like ABS (can be solvent welded too) or better still nylon. These are very difficult to print in large formet though.

IMAhobbyist

This video addresses the blending in of flex resins, however if an object merely bends more without breaking, does that equate to stronger?

Often see suggestion of FDM printing ABS for strength. I don't have an all metal hotend, couple that with the smell of ABS, never got around to that.

PETG could offer something over PLA in FDM.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
Some of the gaming figure guys mix standard resin with a flex resin. This makes the prints less brittle and less likely to crack over time. Might be something worth looking into but you'd have to dig for it yourself. Can't remember where I read about it.

As far as large format printing goes then FDM is going to be way cheaper. Downside: the print can delaminate. This happens easily under stress when using something like PLA. One solution would be to use a plastic with a higher melting point like ABS (can be solvent welded too) or better still nylon. These are very difficult to print in large formet though.
that gives me something to know a liitle more what to look for on the FDM.
I remember somthing about mixing some resin.
thanks for the help.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
This video addresses the blending in of flex resins, however if an object merely bends more without breaking, does that equate to stronger?

Often see suggestion of FDM printing ABS for strength. I don't have an all metal hotend, couple that with the smell of ABS, never got around to that.

PETG could offer something over PLA in FDM.

I have watched this guy before, I 'll go back and listin again,

"however if an object merely bends more without breaking, does that equate to stronger?"
in my case, yes. I have a part I would like to print, and I want it flexible but i don't want it to break.
it it not much bigger than a bristle in a brush.

Thanks,

srjacob

For strong, functional parts, use a filament printer and print with PETG. If you want something stronger, print with ASA. Matterhackers is a good source for good filament. I get my PETG from them. I have never had a print delaminate. I use a Prusa I3MK3/S. The Prusa polycarbonate blend is supposed to be really strong, but I have never used it.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Ah... so flexible and very thin...

... it not much bigger than a bristle in a brush...

In that case you may wanna try printing FDM with ninjaflex. Those prints are nigh-on indestructable. Don't need to mod your printer or get anything fancy either, just gotta print real slow.