What's new

[fix target: v23]Does V22 split every single surface when you pass a model through to Keyshot now?

jc-s

I just came across this problem too. I was about to create a post to discuss and found this was already being discussed.

I had made a few important changes to a design then updated an existing render to find everything had been broken into separate surfaces. What?!?

As noticed, the rounded edges in KeyShot no longer works. This is really important to get realistic results. It's not always possible (nor desirable) to try and fillet every edge in Alibre before exporting.

@Max any chance of a super quick fix for this?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@Max any chance of a super quick fix for this?
The simple fix is that if the part contains zero colored face, then transfer it as a single part (as it did prior to v22), if it does contain colored face, then spend some time fixing it.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Keyshot can do this??? I honestly had no idea. I have always been filleting edges...
Be careful on just how large a fillet radius you apply though. Large radii tend to look like they have part of the model geometry sticking out of the fillet.

When I apply a radii to the part edges in Alibre, I look at it as though I were deburring the part and only put on maybe .005", just enough to break the edge and give a highlight.

jc-s

The simple fix is that if the part contains zero colored face, then transfer it as a single part (as it did prior to v22), if it does contain colored face, then spend some time fixing it.

I can't seem to get it to work if I do this. I hoped this would be a quick workaround.

I only have a few coloured faces, in two parts of the subassembly. I suppressed this face-colouring so there should be no coloured faces, but it still exports to Keyshot as separate surfaces.

I also tried exporting to STEP 203 format (which doesn't support coloured parts), then importing into Alibre then exporting again to Keyshot. Still no luck: the models are still broken into surfaces in Keyshot.

Have I missed something?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I think that Simon was perhaps suggesting a strategy for a 'simple' fix for Alibre to implement in a future version - rather than something which users can achieve themselves with the current version.

Apologies to Simon if I've mis-interpreted.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I think that Simon was perhaps suggesting a strategy for a 'simple' fix for Alibre to implement in a future version
Correct, it was a suggestion to Alibre to get AD to automatically implement the old behaviour (hopefully in a not-too-distant service pack release) for parts which don't use the color face feature, hence it doesn't break the existing KeyShort functionality (that relies on a solid model) for the majority that may (choose) not to use color face.

Medium/longer term, Alibre need to address (in conjunction with KeyShot) the knock on effects in KeyShot of separating parts into their faces as currently implemented in v22. i.e. Material Template (faces names), Rounded Edges, etc.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
Ugh.... So this splitting is a default that cannot be turned off?

Ouch... seems like that will break a lot of stuff. Another reason I'm staying with V21 for now.

jc-s

I think the only short-term workaround I can think of is to save files as STEP, import into Alibre Design V21, then export to Keyshot (presumably V22 Alibre files won't open in V21, so is using STEP the best workaround for that?).

Unfortunately, you can't have two installs of Alibres on the same computer, so I'll need to install on a second computer and switch the licence each time I need to go between them. Annoying, but not as bad as having to keep uninstalling/reinstalling on the same PC!

However, I don't have a copy of the V21 installer. Is there a download link somewhere for this?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Is there a download link somewhere for this?
You need to contact support.

I keep an installer for every version release for these such cases, but unfortunately I can't share any of those with you due to the licensing T's and C's. Sorry!

jc-s

Thanks, @simonb65. I've contacted support to see.
Usually, I have several installers for the older versions on hand too, but for some reason I don't have V21, only V20.

jc-s

That's good to know. However, I already got a reply from Support with a link to download. Have V21 running on another machine and have done one test as I described and this seemed to work (more or less).

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think the only short-term workaround I can think of is to save files as STEP, import into Alibre Design V21, then export to Keyshot (presumably V22 Alibre files won't open in V21, so is using STEP the best workaround for that?).

Unfortunately, you can't have two installs of Alibres on the same computer, so I'll need to install on a second computer and switch the licence each time I need to go between them. Annoying, but not as bad as having to keep uninstalling/reinstalling on the same PC!

However, I don't have a copy of the V21 installer. Is there a download link somewhere for this?
Why go back to Alibre Design V21 (after exporting a STEP file from Alibre Design V22) just to send it to Keyshot? Can't you just open the STEP file in Keyshot?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Can't you just open the STEP file in Keyshot?
You can only open .BIP files with the Alibre licenced version or use the Live Linking functionality.

So he's looking at V22->STEP->V21->BIP->KeyShot, which would be solid, as opposed to V22->BIP->KeyShot, which is split into faces

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Maybe this has been mentioned already but you can paste the material onto the part on the model tree in the scene tab. Works fine.

jc-s

Weird. I've got Keyshot from the Alibre site downloads and never purchased the full version and it definitely opens STEP files.

Not here. Only bip files can be opened in the Keyshot-for-Alibre version that I have (and presumably the same for everyone else).

By the way, I got an update from Support today to say that this exporting issue has been raised for discussion (probably after the next V22 service pack which is currently in progress).

Last edited: