What's new

flanges, lips and other bent features in sheetmetal

I haven't been able to find info on how to make sheet metal rings or tubes with features in them. The .smp is what I was able to figure out to get a rolled ring. the .prt file I cheated to get the look of the lip I want on the ring. I've tried using flange both when bent and unbent. I tried several different settings within flange with no luck. I tried drawing a sketch with the lip on it and using contour but couldn't get a round shape. I tried creating a part and then converting to sheet metal but that doesn't seem to work either. Any suggestions?

-Jon

Attachments

• New Sheet Metal Part (5).AD_SMP
    489 KB · Views: 14
  • New Sheet Metal Part (5).AD_PRT
    815.5 KB · Views: 12

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Jon,

how will you fabricate this part? Rolling a tube from a rectangular metal sheet and then bordering this tube? What kind of machinery is available for you? Which material have you chosen?...
From my side i would not make this from sheet metal...but to answer your question: I too have no solution for create such a sheetmetal part in alibre.

Regards
Stefan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hm...my first thought was: this will result in a "wavy" surface...or will you use a material like lead?
I would turn a tube with flange and laser the tube wall geometry

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here is how I would model the part to add the flange to a sheet metal ring. Start with a Lofted Flange. To add the Unbend just click on Select all bends then OK.
Note that the Flange is added by using the Part Model tab to create a Revolve. IF you need to create a flat pattern then you will need to create a separate configuration for the flat and suppress the Revolve.
1650486189254.png

Attachments

• Flanged Ring.AD_SMP
    768 KB · Views: 5
Harold, that is very helpful. I have done very little with loft and I will definitely be using that technique again. I take it there is no way to have the flange be sheet metal that could be unfolded as well?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I take it there is no way to have the flange be sheet metal that could be unfolded as well?
The best we can do in Alibre is to use the part modeling tools to create this kind of flange detail. Alibre would need a function much like SolidWorks that does create curved flanges which, as far as I could figure out, does use part modeling techniques but then can calculate for Unbends and Flat patterns. That said, Alibre's Lofted Flange needs to be able to add lapped seams too for thin sheet metal.

I saw that, but I don't want to have another software company hassling me. If it's more like SW price than Alibre price it's not worth it to me to pursue at this point.