What's new

formula approximation with splines

jimr

formula approximation with splines

I have developed parametric equations defining a cam profile with known physical behavior. How do I approximate these equations with a spline? I am just learning this software and the only thing I can find is an option to exactly interpolate points read in from a file. But this is not helpful in that I do not know the error bounds are inbetween the points I have provided. I could load in thousands of points just to be sure the error is small enough, but this just creates an unnecassily huge cad file. What are my options to achieve my goal with out spending a lot of time or money?

Thanks

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I posed almost the same question to the Yahoo group awhile back and there was no reply. I also asked Alibre and found out there is no way to do this in Alibre at this time.
Now, I am curious to see the replies. I suspect that there must be a software that can be used to create the sketch figure based on the math, and then export the figure to a file that can be imported into Alibre. Although not a perfect solution, at least it would work.

jimr

It is a line in sketch view that will be extruded perpendicular to the sketch view into a surface