What's new

Forum access

steved

Forum access

Over the last few weeks I frequently get the following error message when accessing or browsing the alibre forum, anyone else seeing this problem.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\\Inetpub\\news.alibre.com\\phpBB2.13\\db\\mssql-odbc.php on line 117

Cheers

Steve :?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Steve,

Yes, I've often got the 'time out' error, too. Also, it's not unusual to take 10 or 20 seconds to access threads etc... Wish it was possible to speed things up - it didn't used to be this slow.....

Miles

LOL it 'timed out' while submitting this :)

Re:

MilesH said:
Yes, I've often got the 'time out' error, too. Also, it's not unusual to take 10 or 20 seconds to access threads etc... Wish it was possible to speed things up - it didn't used to be this slow.....

The software that runs this forum (phpBB) stores everything (messages, subjects, user IDs, etc.) in a database. That message indicates the forum software sent the database a command, but didn't get a response back before the defined time limit. This usually indicates either (1) a platform reliability problem (e.g., bad network link), or (2) an overloaded database server. Most likely the later. Speeding things up generally means throwing more hardware at the problem -- which means spending money. :)

wfpelletier

Re:

MilesH said:
Steve,

Miles

LOL it 'timed out' while submitting this :)

Here's hoping that they fix this soon. I am really finding this 'time out' very annoying!!

wfpelletier

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

Seems to me that forum access speed has gotten worse in the past few months - I wonder if that has anything to do with Alibre Express?

Mike

Re:

MikeHenry said:
Seems to me that forum access speed has gotten worse in the past few months - I wonder if that has anything to do with Alibre Express?

It is almost certainly load related, so I would expect so, yah. In theory, this is a good problem for Alibre Inc to have -- it means interest in Alibre is growing.

wfpelletier

Can't post at all..

I just tried to post a response in another thread, and although I can preview my post, I cannot submit my post. I get a bunch of strange error messages referring to various 'SQL' issues..

wfpelletier

I just got this in response to an attempt to send a private mesage. Wow! I think that's the least graceful error handling I've ever seen! ;-)

Code:
= 4) && is_ie && is_win) { theSelection = document.selection.createRange().text; if (!theSelection) { txtarea.value += bbopen + bbclose; txtarea.focus(); return; } document.selection.createRange().text = bbopen + theSelection + bbclose; txtarea.focus(); return; } else if (txtarea.selectionEnd && (txtarea.selectionEnd - txtarea.selectionStart > 0)) { mozWrap(txtarea, bbopen, bbclose); return; } else { txtarea.value += bbopen + bbclose; txtarea.focus(); } storeCaret(txtarea); } function bbstyle(bbnumber) { var txtarea = document.post.message; txtarea.focus(); donotinsert = false; theSelection = false; bblast = 0; if (bbnumber == -1) { // Close all open tags & default button names
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\\Inetpub\\news.alibre.com\\phpBB2.13\\includes\\template.php(127) : eval()'d code on line 144

Hey Alibre Inc people! Any idea on when we might see these forum issues addresses? I realize they prolly aren't a priority, but how about a guess? Next month? Q1 2006? Before 2007? :)

indesign

Alibre Super User

I would say Xpress has something to do with it. My bet is how many people are trying to read the same message at the same time from the server. Read and write at same time is hard for computers.

Anyhow my bet is this will require a server upgrade. If this forum is not on Alibre's server then they are paying a company to support it. Guess we know what that is like. More people trying to access the same files on the same computer from all over the world.