What's new

Game controller design work

Mika

Every time when I see PS controller with keyboard I'm thinking that it actually includes all necessary buttons for rotate, zoom, pan, etc. design work on screen. My neck and shoulders would be so thankful if the design work would be possible to do with this kinda controller. Anyone else have same thoughts?

Attachments

• Game Controller.jpg
    Game Controller.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 23

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That looks like you need to hold it in both hands to operate it.

For modeling I use a 3dconnexion Space Navigator. It handles all the Pan-Zoom-Rotate functions with ease and now that I've programmed the Radial Menus it has even more functionality. So basically I have one hand on the mouse and one on the Space Navigator with an occasional move to the keyboard for entering dimension values. It's a little dated now and has been replaced by the Space Mouse but it should function the same.

Last edited:

kw856

Have to admit, 3dconnexion is a game changer. I was using space mouse pro for 2 weeks as a test. After those two weeks i knew that i need one and couse it not cheap, i got Space Pilot insted. Its not supported anymore and last 3DxWare version working is 10.4.10. All fuctions of it works perfect. I m heavy macro/shortcut user so all those buttons that can be set as you want makes that i m in heaven. So nowadays i m only using keyboard if i m working with .AD_GLP files

Mika

I use also 3D mouse. My question has nothing to do with this. Using 3D mouse, normal mouse and keyboard, I still have my hands on the desk and shoulders possible up tensioned.

With using game controller on hands, it lays on my lap and elbows and whole hands are restfully towards my body. It would be so big difference to make designs like that.

Maybe it just need some button config panel made with Alibre script and thats it. Any ideas?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Google is your friend in this area. There are lots of options. If you use an Xbox 360 controller it probably will be detected instantly and work better since Microsoft has merged much of their Windows and Xbox development. If you have Steam installed that lets you customize controlers.
Here is one third party program I found for customizing a Dual Shock 4 on Windows - however I didn't see anything about the keyboard attachment.
http://ds4windows.com/

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
With using game controller on hands, it lays on my lap and elbows and whole hands are restfully towards my body.

Sounds like maybe the ergonomics of your desk/work space may be the issue and not the controller. I recall that at one time I was having some issues with arm and neck pain while at work. Turns out, after having the company nurse evaluate my workstation, that the desk was too high and the chair I was given was not adjusted correctly. After installing a keyboard tray and getting an adjustable chair ($$$) it put me in a better posture so I didn't get as much muscle tension while working. More importantly, taking breaks away from the computer and doing some exercises helped relieve the muscle tension too. Maybe a little research on your workstation ergonomics would help.

Mika

So boring answers...look from google, use 3D mouse and make your desk erconomics better. Are you not curious at any to make something completely new in design work...? Come on guys...

So boring answers...look from google, use 3D mouse and make your desk erconomics better. Are you not curious at any to make something completely new in design work...? Come on guys...

Unfortunately, I think you'd really need to have the CAD software designed somewhat around the controller to really get the most out of it. The Shapr3D program for ipad looks really intriguing to me. Game controller with and intuitive modeling interface could be cool.

Mika

Unfortunately, I think you'd really need to have the CAD software designed somewhat around the controller to really get the most out of it. The Shapr3D program for ipad looks really intriguing to me. Game controller with and intuitive modeling interface could be cool.
Only problem in Shapr3D is that it's only for Apple.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
There is a saying ... "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!". Why invent a solution to problem that doesn't exist? It's not about being "boring", it's about providing a solution for a problem, that is already developed, refined and used through out the industry. You don't get prizes for throwing money and effort at a problem unless you can guarantee it will give you big financial returns, especially if you can already buy the solution off the shelf ... basic business investment rules!

If you have the time and money to waste ... go ahead. I'm sure we'll all be interested to follow your journey.

OrjanB

Hi all,

When sitting in front of the computer, working with any program, I do not use mouse at all. I use a Wacom tablet with pen. This substitutes the mouse in every way.

Several years ago, working with CAD every day all day long, I got a creepy pain in my hand/arm/shoulder.
I had to find a solution, else I could not go on working with CAD.

I then bought a Wacom tablet and after some days of practice I had converted - the mouse was history.
Holding a pen is much more natural for the hand than dealing with the mouse, and navigating on the monitor is easier with a pen.

And very important (also if using mouse):
The elbow has to be resting on the table, othervise the shoulder will suffer.
I now use a desk designet with an inwards corner in order to obtain the best working position with elbow resting and monitor in front, and have been working this way for decades.
My suffering arm has gone.
The tablet I use is small, bigger tablet cause unnecessary movements of the arm.

By combining the programmable switch on the pen with shortcuts on the keyboard I can work very effectively.

Hope my experiences are of interest in this discussion.

Orjan