What's new

generate a .dxf with an image

I've created a drawing and added an image to it. but when I create a dxf I get the drawing without the image. Is there a way to generate the dxf with the image?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
DXF is a vector drawing format - you'll have to convert the image into a line drawing.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if you actually require a DXF - if you're just trying to "make a drawing with a picture on it" perhaps to print out, you could consider exporting it to PDF as well. If you have a downstream use that requires a DXF format then David's advice is good.

Actually certain "variations" on DXF do allow "images" to be included. I believe this took place sometime after the AutoCAD-2012 release.

I'm generating the file for the laser cutter which takes a .dxf file. The drawing has the outline that will be cut and the image is the decoration to be etched. The image is a line drawing and I can save it as a dxf but the "insert an image" function doesn't take DXF.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Open your image DXF in Alibre. Copy to clipboard, then paste into the drawing of your outline. You'll probably have to paste the 'image' into 'sketch on sheet'.

If the 'image' is something you'll use again - define a custom symbol from it.