What's new

gld's lofting problem

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I doubt there is one single perfect CAD system. Alibre is super simple to use and you can achieve a heck of a lot with it. Sure Creo and Catia have far more functionality but they are absolute dogs to use and honestly it's unlikely you will need all that functionality day in and day out.

gld

I have created a new wing. All ribs and guide curve are snapped to the points. Still getting the same error.

Guess I will have to settle for a straight winglet, that works. Not a total loss, I have learned a few think along the way.
Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• New wing.AD_PRT
    581 KB · Views: 5

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
As has been mentioned before by Harold Sketch 8 is on the wrong plane for what you are trying to achieve.

Also your guide curve does not touch the profile in Sketch 8.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
After reworking the winglet tip sketch to place it on the correct plane and editing both profile sketches to Insert Point from Sketch, to which the guide curve is constrained to, I got the loft to complete.
Finally.png

To clarify the view I hid some of the extra planes that were not related to the winglet issue.

Attachments

• New wing - Loft Corrected.AD_PRT
    959 KB · Views: 2

gld

After reworking the winglet tip sketch to place it on the correct plane and editing both profile sketches to Insert Point from Sketch, to which the guide curve is constrained to, I got the loft to complete.
View attachment 34385

To clarify the view I hid some of the extra planes that were not related to the winglet issue.

Well, the airfoils snapped to the points when I used the constraints. And the guide curve snapped to the points so I assumed they were constrained. I will try to duplicate your file and see if I can make that work.
Thanks

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think you need to manually apply the constraints instead of relying on Alibre to snap to the nodes you want to constrain to.
Check to make sure that Atom does have the Reference tools that I show in the screen shot l uploaded in my previous post. I used INSERT POINT FROM SKETCH while editing the profile sketches and then, while editing the guide curve, I placed the arc away from the profiles and applied a Coincident constraint between the end nodes of the guide curve to the Points of the profile sketches. I also added a Horizontal constraint between the end node of the guide curve at the wing profile and the center node of the guide curve arc.

IF Atom doesn't have the same Insert Point from Sketch tool that Design has then another method is needed to make the guide curve constraints. And since I don't have Atom I'm not sure what that method would be.

gld

Aw, success at last!!!!! Today I learned more about points and axis.
Yes Harold, applying points while in a sketch then constraining those to the proper location is what finally fixed it.

Thanks again to all who chipped in to help.

bigseb, what do you think, that leading edge looks better to me, with a symmetrical airfoil at sketch8.

Attachments

• New wing.AD_PRT
    976 KB · Views: 4