What's new

Global parameters and excel add-in improvement?

Good improvement?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Drutort

Ok been using global parameters, but have seen the limitations, and now pretty much I have to move to using excel add in, which is really great, but right of the bat I noticed what could be improved, I am sure many would agree, I believe this is simple addon/enhancement

Global parameters
  1. add more columns: type, comment
  2. allow to unlink from excel and use current result column
  3. remove any extra characters displayed in equation column ex " or ° leave them possibly in result column
  4. allow copy paste column(s) from excel to Global parameters editor, give warning overwrite etc..

excel add-in
  1. option to set default unit system in the add-in
  2. ability to sort by column in the add-in
  3. ability to select and input data with ranges
  4. have matching columns as GLP (updated with above mentioned columns)
  5. ability to delete?
  6. edit/modify existing data type: distance, angle, count etc...

This would make everything a lot more smoother and coherent IMO

(I apologize if someone has posted something similar in the past, if so its really sad that it has not been implemented yet, I see the push for Alibre scripts and what not, but I believe this is far more valuable to every day work and almost every user would find useful)

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Alibre Design works internally in cm, that's why it is the default unit for length.

Drutort

if they even have to rewrite the code for both, I would prefer they make different versions for both, and give us options based on new vs legacy,
but even then with a new improved GLP we can recreate new GLP with copy/paste and excel on the fly, so long as they would give us option to unlink and then use the current results, so you can create say a template with excel, if you do not wish to use excel all the time for the GLP

Drutort

btw, for whatever reason even starting clean GLP and using the addin to add all of the values, that I have in the excel sheet that is sorted alphabetically, the addin does its own sorting without much logic, similar when you link an existing GLP file.

I did go and open the GLP file, some of the data is readable and I could see the structure though it would take a lot of work to regenerate and resort, it, also seems that it would be possible to do the linking their as well, as I saw the regular none linked and linked data

it is really sad that even basic sorting does not work, and I have to go and create another column based on the alibre data sort, and go between logical alphabetical sort and then back to alibre one... what pain

markporter

Global parameters
  1. add more columns: type, comment

Is there a way to do this "behind the scenes", e.g. with a configuration xml file?

It seems strange to me that I can add a comment to a GP, but never see it again unless I use the "edit" function.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Mark,

of course you're right. Additional rows wouldn't annoy;)
For what kind of workflow do you want this? Can you please describe it a little bit?

Regards
Stefan

markporter

Hi Stefan. I have a parameter-driven design, which I am refining. It's nice to put a comment against each parameter to show its status; e.g. if it is fixed or still being developed.
regards, Mark

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Mark,

do you need a dynamic editable view like the Equation Editor, or will a static list of variables with your 'statusmarker' satisfy your needs?
Maybe with a filter fixed/open?
For parts only or parts and assemblies?

Regards
Stefan

markporter

Hi Stefan. Just a list against the parameter name. Ideally, just the addition of "comments" and "type" to the table as in the OP above. There's certainly enough width available in the table.
regards, Mark

Hi Stefan. I have a parameter-driven design, which I am refining. It's nice to put a comment against each parameter to show its status; e.g. if it is fixed or still being developed.
Mark -- First of all there is a Mathematical Definition for Parametric that is rarely (if ever) met. [That is that a Parametric Relationship is created by either: (A) an independent function of (B) an external database derived value.] If it does not meet this criterion it is merely a variable. This is something that Walter Cronkite did not understand when he promoted this misconception.

You can chane the Name of Equation Editor variables as your usage "evolves" should you wish (though I too would like to be able to Edit "variable comments" within the Equation Editor).